Not a member of WES yet? Join WES and support our work to encourage more gender diversity in engineering. Join WES online here
Are you interested Corporate Partnership, Education Partnership or Not-for-Profit Partnership? More information
There are four grades of individual membership (plus concessionary rates for members with low or no income and retired members). All members have the same rights and privileges, with the single exception that an Associate Member is not eligible to stand as president.
Full Members (MWES)
Women, including those who identify themselves as women and/or are discriminated against as women, working in the fields of engineering, technology (including IT) or science, or those with a background in these areas are eligible to be full members.
Subscription: £52 per annum (concession £26 for unemployed and retired members).
This is our highest grade of membership and was introduced in 2013. Fellowships will be awarded to women who have made outstanding contributions to the field of engineering, to the encouragement of women in engineering, or in service to the Women's Engineering Society. Cost of Fellowship is £85 per year, and the concessionary rate for retired Fellows is £42 per year. Further information on WES fellowships here.
Not an engineer, but still want to support WES? Our Associate membership is the perfect way for male engineers, and men and women who are not engineers, technologist or scientists to support the aims of the Society. We are proud of the diversity of our membership and welcome individuals from all backgrounds and areas of expertise. No-one is excluded or disadvantaged by not having the "right" qualifications or background.
Subscription: £52 per annum (concession £26).
Student / Apprentice Members
Women, including those who identify themselves as women and/or are discriminated against as women, undergoing approved training leading to a qualification in engineering, technology or related sciences.
Subscription: £10 per annum
Supporter Membership Grades
These supporter categories are a great way to stay in touch with WES, but do not provide access to many of the benefits an Individual Membership brings, in addition, they do not provide voting rights at the WES AGM or eligibility to join WES boards or committees.
Guidance notes on membership grades:
- All women working within science and engineering with any science/engineering/technology qualifications should apply as Full Members.
- All women with any science/engineering/technology qualifications or backgrounds who are no longer working within the industry should also apply as Full Members.
- PhD and post grad students should apply as Student Members or Student Supporters, unless their income is such that they can afford to pay the Full Member subscription in which case they should apply as Member.
- Apprentices, Year In Industry and Industrial Placement students should apply as Student Members or Student Supporters, unless their income is such that they can afford to pay the Member subscription.
- All men are welcome to apply as Associates of WES.
*Concessionary rates are available for Members and Associates who are unemployed, on a career break or retired.