We are looking for a Head of Software to help us scale our next-generation laser processing platform. With a strong focus on security, automation and connectivity, software is integral to Opsydia’s systems. Our first deployed product, the D5000, utilises optical techniques to write internal IDs inside diamonds, supporting traceability initiatives for ethical supply chains. Built as a security instrument, it prioritises the operator by incorporating machine vision, automation and connectivity for remote operation and support.
As the leader of our software engineering team, the Head of Software will be responsible for growing and managing the software team to plan and execute on software development projects. Working closely with the Systems Engineering and Product teams, they will:
- Collaborate on product roadmaps, define key features
- Dig into the codebase, fix bugs and add critical features
- Drive software development and lead projects
- Maintain source code and manage releases
- Manage production services & support deployed systems
- Mentor junior engineers
- Provide technical expertise, reporting to the CEO
- Monitor and continuously improve security
- Translate customer requirements into technical plans
- Coordinate service providers where appropriate
- Be the key decision-maker for the direction of software at Opsydia
A suitable candidate for this role will be comfortable leading a small, high-performing development team capable of solving technical problems effectively. The Head of Software should be able to set the standard, know what ‘good’ looks like and be able to write it, with emphasis on ensuring best practices for application security. This person should be confident in translating high-level problems into technical requirements, but equally enthusiastic about digging into the codebase, fixing bugs and writing new features themselves.
You will be able to demonstrate that you have the following:
- Experience as a software lead, comfortable being a mentor & growing talent in a small team
- Deep knowledge of programming and build processes (C# & Python preferred)
- Experience designing software architectures for hardware systems
- Experience managing services in a cloud computing platform (Azure preferred)
- Strong awareness of the importance of security in software and hardware development
- Experience implementing modern tools and methods for software project development (e.g. CI/CD)
- Degree or equivalent experience in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline
You may also have:
- Significant experience in a early-stage startup or small software team
- 2+ years designing software applications for industrial machinery/IoT devices/SaaS installations with cloud data analytics
- Knowledge of networking principles, network design and security
- Experience in cybersecurity or application security for hardware systems
This is a full-time role and we are open to hybrid working with flexible work patterns. As we are developing hardware systems, some hands on time in the office is important. The person in this role will be involved in customer-facing meetings, which may include overseas travel.
As part of the recruitment process a selected candidate will be required to undergo security screening to BS7858.
Closing date: 20 December 2021. Applications will be reviewed as received so this vacancy may be closed earlier; early applications are therefore encouraged.
WHAT WE OFFER
Remuneration: £60-£70k dependent on experience + bonus scheme + share options
- Hybrid, flexible working
- Share option scheme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Enhanced family leave
- Private Medical Insurance
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Assurance
- Company matched pension contributions up to 5%. Salary sacrifice arrangement is available
- 25 days paid leave
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Opsydia is a leading innovator in laser technology to bring significant advances to markets from diamond and gemstone security to diamond-based electronic devices. Harnessing short pulse laser technology, the company can create serial numbers, logos or marks, invisible to the naked eye, inside transparent materials including diamond for security applications and for writing electrical and quantum features in diamond for device applications. It has rapidly commercialised the technology with the first systems deployed and this hire is to support its scale-up in the diamond and jewellery industry.
The company is based in the Centre for Innovation & Enterprise at Begbroke Science Park north of Oxford. Begbroke offers comprehensive facilities on-site including a restaurant, coffee shop, free parking and a minibus service between the park and Oxford.
To apply please go to our BambooHR recruitment site at https://opsydia.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27&source=aWQ9MjY%3D