Systems Engineering and Software Development Managers
£Excellent Salary + Benefits Package & Flexible Working
London, Surrey or Gloucester
Our client is a global organisation employing a diverse and talented workforce around the world. They are an iconic multinational technology company delivering market leading products and solutions to the defence, security and cyber sectors. They are focused on developing the very best and most innovative products and services to their customers.
Ethical business is at the heart of everything they do, ensuring they work closely with local partners to support economic development by transferring knowledge, skills and technology with a mission to provide a vital advantage where it counts.
Its well-branded cyber business is at the heart of protecting our national infrastructure and the wider connected world. It provides consulting services and the most advanced technology solutions to both government and commercial sectors, including financial services, protecting against financial fraud.
This is an exciting time join a business that is committed to, and prides itself on, keeping ahead of the game, and indirectly touches all our connected lives.
With newly won programmes and utilisation high, there is a need to grow the systems and software engineering capability.
Systems Engineering Manager/Architect
As a Systems Engineering Manager /Architect, you will be responsible for shaping and planning technology-led initiatives in an agile environment. These are senior positions, and though not technically hands on, you will retain a strong appreciation of the full systems and applications development life cycles in order to take a holistic approach of the projects you manage.
- Shape systems engineering solutions and bids.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects, with a proactive engagement style to ensure timely problem resolution and mitigation.
- Maintain accountability of initiatives, whilst the Development Managers deliver the technical development.
- Manage and deploy resources, maximising effective delivery utilising the right people at the right time.
- Build and sustain ‘C’ level relationships with external and internal engineering customers.
Engineering/Software Development Manager
As an Engineering/Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading the systems engineering phase of the projects. As well as managing small teams of between two to twenty engineers, you will still be fully hands on technically. You will:
- Deliver iteratively (e.g. XP, DSDM, Scrum, RUP) or use Kanban. Utilise agile working through the full development life cycle.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to prepare for new projects and deliver continuous improvement.
- Be the interface between clients and your development teams, ensuring the engineers remain focused on development.
- Lead, manage, motivate and mentor engineering teams; evaluate ways to improve skill sets of the teams and improve process and performance.
- Be an evangelist; define and lead the future direction of development management in the organisation.
The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate experience of leading, shaping and/or delivering similar or related types of systems/software initiatives in large, complex technology-driven environments. You will be a proven and forward thinking leader, able to drive best practice and motivate those around you.
You do not need to be a cyber expert, but an interest in the subject is advantageous. The critical success factor, however, is your ability and ambition to deliver technology change or augmentation.
Required attributes include:
- Deep and broad technical background; software and/or applications.
- Depending on experience, ability to shape and architect systems engineering initiatives.
- Successful track record of agile software delivery through multiple iterations.
- Lead, manage and motivate engineering teams; track record of delivering performance improvement.
- Gravitas: exceptional client facing experience (internal or external) at senior level; build and sustain relationships; persuade and influence.
- Be a passionate technical authority; encourage continuous improvement.
- A technical, numerate or scientific academic qualification.
- Must be, or have the ability to be, security cleared; ideally have an interest in becoming DV cleared.
You are likely to come from a range of industries including technology consulting, systems integration, software or from within a corporate business with in-house software development. Ideally, you will have a software/applications development background and progressed into team leading and project management.
This is a professional services organisation, which requires some travel to clients and other offices, but this is nominal.
How to Apply
The preferred method of application is online at
If you are unable to apply online please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications will receive an automated response.