BAME Recruitment is delighted to partner with National Grid on the recruitment of a
Site Management Policy & Assurance Manager.
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: Sunday 17 February 2019 at 23:59 GMT
Interview dates: 1st stage – Wednesday 6 and Thursday 7 March2019
2nd stage – Thursday 28 March 2019
Grade: Band C
Business Unit: ET
Job title & grade of Line Manager: Head of Operations Manager, Band B
Base Location: Warwick, travel to operational sites required
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join National Grid. They are at the heart of energy - from heating homes to making sure businesses fire on all cylinders, they’re using their engineering excellence to connect people and the planet. They’re also looking to the future – innovating, inventing, and transforming, to make possible the energy systems of tomorrow. And that’s why there’s never been a more exciting time to join them and help to make a difference to people’s lives every day.
About the Role
This role is at the heart of National Grid’s Electricity Transmission Operations function. ET Operations is responsible for day-to-day maintenance and operation of some 300 substation sites and over 7000km of overhead lines. It employs some 1250 people across England and Wales.
The Site Management Policy and Assurance team is a central function that:
- Ensures ET Operations has the necessary policies in place to ensure safe, efficient management of sites and work
- Manages an assurance process to feedback on standards achieved
- Manages workforce planning for ET Operations – identifying trainee requirements and managing training and competence processes
- Owns and maintains National Grid’s electricity Safety Rules.
- The scope of SMPA’s policy and assurance work is: safe systems of work, site Occupiers’ duties, resilience and security matters.
- Leadership and management of a department of subject matter experts
- Lead on establishing, reviewing and maintaining a suite of policies and operating procedures that, when followed, will ensure that sites are fully compliant with legislation and corporate policies relating to site management, safety, security and resilience
- Lead on developing and delivering a programme of assurance that provides ET Operations managers with feedback on the actual compliance with standards associated with site management and safe systems of work across ET Operations
- Lead on the development of a future resourcing strategy in line with workforce planning requirements and insights
- Overall accountability for the adequacy and coherence of policy setting and assurance feedback
- Lead on the delivery of additional projects in support of the wider management of ET Operations. This might include investigations, representative roles on internal governance groups or representative roles on relevant external bodies or working groups
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know-How
•Team/Departmental leadership experience.
•Knowledge of the Health & Safety at Work Act, and all Regulations under that relating to management of industrial installations.
•Knowledge of internal procedures, business and corporate level, relating to site management, general safety and electricity industry codes governing joint sites.
•Experience of substation operations, preferably at managerial level.
•Deep understanding of the role of substation sites in the power system, the asset types found in them, and the risks and consequences of site and asset failures.
To be known on appointment:
•Strong understanding of National Grid’s role in the electricity supply industry and its interfaces with industry stakeholders, including Government and Local Authority contingency planning processes.
- Degree level education (or equivalent).
- Full driving license.
- Leading to Chartered Engineer status.
- IOSH Managing Safely (or equivalent) qualification.
- NEBOSH Certificate.
For further information please read the full Role Brief attached.
National Grid is an equal opportunities employer committed to creating a genuinely inclusive workplace, where they embrace the differences of all their colleagues, celebrate diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.
National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate their business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. They are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities they serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
Please go to: https://www.workable.com/j/0F8469A8C2 and upload your CV and covering letter. Your CV and a covering letter combined should not exceed 5 sides in total.
In your covering letter please explain why you are suitable for the role by addressing the Key Accountabilities / Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know-How / Qualifications / Leadership Qualities as outlined in the Role Brief.
We look forward to hearing from you.