First Light Fusion is actively developing an experiment to reach gain from an inertial confinement fusion target in the UK. To help us in this effort, we are looking for a skilled and experienced scientist to help us to develop our target designs.
In this role, you will work with a small team to develop our current target designs and invent new ones. You will have a high degree of autonomy to pursue your own ideas and approaches. First Light Fusion operates with its own experimental and manufacturing facilities, enabling us to move quickly and innovate. This will allow your ideas to progress from a basic concept to a working experiment over a short period of time. To facilitate this, you will collaborate across the technical team, using your expertise to ensure that targets are designed, manufactured, and fielded on experiments in a way that maximises performance. You will also act as a source of knowledge and experience, that other scientists within the company can draw on when pursuing their own ideas.
As a key member of the target design team, you will:
- Develop new inertial fusion schemes from basic theory.
- Use our in-house hydrodynamic and magneto-hydrodynamic codes to invent new targets and develop current ones, aiming to achieve the highest possible fusion yields from First Light Fusion’s driver machines.
- Run simulations to understand in depth the dynamics and physical processes at work within our targets.
- Use Python and other tools to analyse results and identify trends.
- Provide specialist technical support and training, aiding other scientists at First Light to develop their own target designs and interpret their results.
The position is available at either Senior or Lead Scientist level, depending on knowledge and related experience.
To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter quoting the job title and reference to firstname.lastname@example.org