Job Title: TDI - Senior Software Developer
Location: Bristol, Bristol, UK, BS3 2HQ
Make a real impact, immediately
Babcock Defence Systems Technology (DST) has an enviable reputation for fostering partnerships and innovation, and delivering technological advantage to an array of global customers. We have built on these strengths with the creation of an innovation hub which is at the forefront of our contribution to the Defence Digital era.
The Technology, Design and Innovation (TDI) team is built from a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences; highly motivated people who are driven by the prospect of working with industry leading technology in a challenging, agile and forward looking environment. A dynamic bench of professionals comprising both permanent and seconded positions, TDI will adapt to bring fresh thinking to growth opportunities, develop new capabilities and put innovation at the centre of DST growth moving forward.
We are building on our early success and growing our team to meet our ambitions and are looking to appoint a motivated and dynamic Senior Software Developer to the team.
The difference the new Senior Software Developer will make
We need a Senior Software Developer to drive our research and development efforts and to realise innovation projects and prototypes across multiple domains.
You will work on a wide range of communication and integration themed innovation projects ranging from embedded prototypes to GIS and the identification and exploitation of new technologies.
Who we’re looking for:
You will be a self-starter with initiative and a broad range of technical skills. An enthusiastic technologist who is able to design and implement a prototype from a minimal brief and design, either as an individual or as part of a team. You thrive in an environment where requirements and priorities can change rapidly to meet the needs of our customers and where every day is a learning day; actively seeking out new knowledge, tools and technologies to help take us forward into the future.
You will have considerable experience in software development and must have a demonstrable portfolio of technology projects or hobbies which prove creativity. You’ll also have experience of the following:-
• NET Core (3.1 or 5), C#, ASP.NET MVC, Entity Framework Core, REST Web API, Git, SQL Server
• Docker, Azure DevOps, Azure Portal
Skills and attributes
You will require problem solving, agility & lateral thinking alongside the
ability to upskill, learn new subjects & skills. You will need good time management and prioritisation, collaborative and interpersonal skills and integrity
You will be able to demonstrate that you are a critical thinker able to be innovative in your approach and thinking and able to work at pace balancing multiple priorities concurrently. Collaboration, adaptability and inclusion are key to the success of DST and these will be core attributes of all TDI team members.
In return for your skill and passion, you’ll get:
• Flexible working
• Autonomy to perform the role.
• The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock’s’ fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
• Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
• Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
• Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
• Employee Share Plan;
• Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
• Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
• If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers’ mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
• Location: Bristol
• The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online using PC, Laptop or Mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here..