We wish to recruit a Senior Research Fellow from 1st September 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter, as part of a 12-month research position. The successful candidate will participate in the research program of the EPRSC Future Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Hub. This project is collaborating with the University of Cardiff, University of Manchester and University of Sheffield. The postholder will be part of the Photonics Group and will work with Professor Huiyun Liu with state-of-the-art group IV and III-V Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) facility in the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering and advanced device-processing facilities in the London Centre for Nanotechnology. The post holder will also be expected to provide supervision and training for undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as publishing the research outcomes in leading journals in the field and at conferences
This £10M grant hub project, funded by EPSRC, will research into large scale Compound Semiconductor manufacturing and in manufacturing integrated Compound Semiconductors on Silicon. This will radically boost the uptake and application of Compound Semiconductor technology by applying the manufacturing approaches of Silicon to Compound Semiconductors. It will also exploit the highly advantageous electronic, magnetic, optical and power handling properties of Compound Semiconductors while utilising the cost and scaling advantage of silicon technology where best suited and generate novel integrated functionality such as sensing, data processing and communication.
The main purpose of the job
Duties and responsibilities
This Senior Research Fellow role will be responsible for depositing compound semiconductor material using MBE. The following is indicative of the duties and responsibilities associated with this post:
- Lead on the development and growth of III-V based and Si-based optoelectronic devices, including, quantum dot (QD) lasers, SOA, modulator etc.
- Lead on the installation and operation of new III-V MBE reactor.
- Lead on the operating and maintaining the MBE facility regularly.
- Regularly communicate and work in close collaboration with the post supervisor and national and international collaborators.
- Interact with other researchers who are working on the project.
- Publish research in leading journals and present it at national and international conferences.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports and the presentation of results at progress meetings.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required.
- Ensure that equipment is safe and maintained in working order and to maintain an awareness of UCL Fire and Health and Safety regulations.
- Actively follow UCL policies including Equal Opportunities policies.
As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and amended in consultation with the postholder and will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department/Division.
The post is to be held in the UCL Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. Access to UCL's Legion HPC cluster could be provided if required.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to make Informal enquiries about the post to Professor Huiyun Liu.
+44 (0)20 7679 3983 firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications should be submitted via UCL online
recruitment system at the following link:
Job Reference: 1809930
If you have any queries regarding the application process please contact Vicky Coombes at email@example.com quoting reference 1809930
UCL Taking Action for Equality