Third Equation Overview:
Third Equation Ltd is a private, investor backed UK company which is developing a platform based on new IP technology solutions for the future energy systems that will accelerate the transition to a carbon-free future.
Third Equation has designed and developed technology which enables control of the electricity network to improve network capacity, manage bidirectional energy flows and maintain a stable system for the integration of distributed energy resources. Adoption will enable the grid transition from passive to a smarter, flexible, resilient system able to more quickly meet climate change targets.
Based in Edinburgh with a global outlook, Third Equation is driving to a vision of making a significant impact on a sustainable energy future.
The Research and Development (R&D) Department is being established to develop and mature a portfolio of Faraday Exchangers to deploy into power grid systems.
As the Senior Power Electronics Engineer, you will:
- Design, simulate and test power electronics converters (>10 kW) (DC/AC, DC/DC, multilevel structures) and their associated magnetics components (power transformers, inductors)
- Design IGBT/SiC gate driver, control architecture and measurement circuits
- Assist in building and testing of prototype power electronics and control systems
- Assist with design and verification of embedded control software
- Research and advise on all aspects of electronic equipment design solutions to meet project requirement using prototyping, simulation, validation and test techniques
- Research new converter topologies and technologies to enhance product performance
- Work with mechanical engineers to integrate electronics into products including thermal design
- PCB layout design and manufacturing support
- Components selection/ sizing and specification
- Test, diagnose and debug electronic equipment
- Bachelor’s/MSc Degree in Electrical/ Electronic/ Power Electronics Engineering required
- 5 years experience of power electronics design
- Experience in the energy industry would be advantageous
- Practical exposure to IGBT, MOSFET, SiC and GaN designs
- Experience in using simulation tools including Matlab/Simulink and PSPice
- Ability to assess different power topologies on an application-by-application basis
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary environment on new product designs
- Experience with safety standards and protection
- Knowledge of power electronics design, analogue and digital systems, embedded system, control engineering, system simulation, semiconductor switching devices and thermal design, specification of electromagnetic assemblies
- Knowledge of EMC and mitigation through design
- Knowledge of LV and MV power networks and their topologies would be a distinct advantage
- Commercial experience would be beneficial
- Experience in setting up laboratories would be beneficial
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your name and the vacancy job title in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.