Job Title: TDI - Senior Network/Comms Engineer
Location: Bristol, Bristol, UK, BS3 2HQ
Make a real impact, immediately
Babcock Defence Systems Technology (DST) has an enviable reputation for fostering partnerships and innovation, and delivering technological advantage to an array of global customers. We have built on these strengths with the creation of an innovation hub which is at the forefront of our contribution to the Defence Digital era.
The Technology, Design and Innovation (TDI) team is built from a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences; highly motivated people who are driven by the prospect of working with industry leading technology in a challenging, agile and forward looking environment. A dynamic bench of professionals comprising both permanent and seconded positions, TDI will adapt to bring fresh thinking to growth opportunities, develop new capabilities and put innovation at the centre of DST growth moving forward.
We are building on our early success and growing our team to meet our ambitions and are looking to appoint a dynamic, ambitious and commercially aware Network Systems Integration Subject Matter Expert (SME).
The difference the new Senior Network / Comms Engineer will make
Reporting to the Head of the Future Solutions; you will lead or partake in technical collaborative activities, often using the application of sideways collaborative thinking and white boarding to plan, design, present, create, build and demonstrate Babcock’s ability as the SI&T of COTs/MOTs IP networking systems and technologies. This role is aligned to the activities around the preparation, experimentation, trials and R&D that will enable Babcock to provide technical knowledge and core capabilities to secure multiple programmes across a variety of sectors and customers.
A key aspect of this role is to collaborate with vendors and OEMs as a technical peer on products and integrated systems using a deep technical level and technology understanding.
Who we’re looking for
You will be a self-starter with initiative who thrives in an environment where requirements and priorities can change rapidly to meet the needs of our customers and where every day is a learning day; actively seeking out new knowledge, tools and technologies to help take us forward into the future.
You’ll need to be pragmatic, solution driven with a strong technology focus. Highly motivated and with a passion for engineering, you will be at the forefront of our systems development activities. You’ll need an inquisitive mind, the ability to think on your feet and problem solve in order to create unique solutions to difficulty problems.
You will have considerable experience in systems engineering with design, testing, and integration experience and the following:-
• Experience of both mobile and fixed networks.
• Ability to read and comprehend technical information and articulate concepts and ideas to non-technically minded people.
• Strong knowledge and experience in testing intricate systems configurations, including integration of software and communications protocols.
• Strong experience and background in COTS/MOTS telecommunication technologies and systems.
• Both practical and theoretical ability.
• Experience in IP Network Systems Integration of fixed/wireless infrastructures, cabled, fibre, HCLOS, LTE, MANET, SATCOM, HF, VHF, UHF, and TacCOMs
• IP Networking knowledge and ability to a CCNA level (or equivalent) as a minimum.
• Strong knowledge of System Engineering and team tools such as DOORs, JIRA, TEAMS, SharePoint, Jazz and others.
• Ability to prepare test specifications and testing procedures following ITEAP processes and procedure.
• Knowledge of wireless telecom industry testing solutions, RF testing, and technology evolution, as well as in-depth experience in RF systems testing for such as Microwave, MANET, LTE or 5G.
• Strong knowledge of COTS/MOTS standards 3GPP, IEEE, Mil STDs, and STANAGS
• Understanding of automated testing infrastructure.
• Knowledge of post-test data analysis and production of technical reports and documentation
• Experienced in telecom laboratory environments, equipment and technologies (RF equipment, networking equipment, spectrum analysers, signal generators, protocol analysers)
• Strong understanding for the process involved in network system support such as reporting, investigation, and resolution of technical issues,
• Ability to lead or support both lab & field demonstrations of product prototypes and/or trial solutions to external audiences requiring occasional travel UK and abroad.
• Experience of troubleshooting fixed and wireless IP networks.
• Proven ability to produce innovative, technically compliant and cost effective solutions.
• Experience of Model Based Systems Engineering (SysML, Rhapsody, Enterprise Architect).
• Knowledge in commissioning and integration support of new products into the customer network, for new radio hardware, software & features.
• Experience providing troubleshooting support on-site during integration.
• Hands-on experience with new product introductions in lab and field.
• Technical knowledge in radio & mobile broadband products, solutions, and services.
• Experience of software development environments process and support.
Skills and attributes
You will require strong presentation skills, strong written and oral communication skills, problem solving, agility, lateral thinking and interpersonal and collaborative skills
You will be able to demonstrate that you are a critical thinker able to be innovative in your approach and thinking and able to work at pace balancing multiple priorities concurrently. Collaboration, adaptability and inclusion are key to the success of DST and these will be core attributes of all TDI team members.
In return for your skill and passion, you’ll get:
• Flexible working
• Autonomy to perform the role.
• The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock’s’ fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
• Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
• Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
• Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
• Employee Share Plan;
• Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
• Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
• If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers’ mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
• Location: Bristol
• The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you’ve completed this you’ll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here..