We are looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to contribute to the design and development of embedded command-and-control software for our in-house developed autonomous underwater drones.
Blue Ocean Seismic Services (Blue Ocean) is an innovative maritime robotics focussed technology company with significant shareholders including BP and Woodside.
Our vision is to disrupt the marine seismic industry through the development and commercialisation of a large-scale autonomous ocean bottom seismic data acquisition system, driving a step change reduction in the cost, time, HSSE risks and environmental impact associated with acquiring high quality marine seismic data.
These reductions in survey cost make ocean bottom seismic attainable to a broader range of customers including for carbon capture and storage (CCS) and offshore wind farm site survey applications. By significantly reducing the carbon footprint of seismic surveys our technology assists clients in their push towards a net-zero future.
Blue Ocean’s revolutionary integrated seismic acquisition system is based around large numbers of intelligent, long endurance, uncrewed underwater vehicles (UUVs).
These Blue Ocean developed UUVs are capable of multiple autonomous seabed repositions to allow rapid, remote repositioning of deployed seabed receiver arrays without the need to recover and redeploy by ROV. This, in combination with automated launch, recovery & handling systems, rapid deployment/recovery, and intelligent system control, allows for optimisation of seismic acquisition survey operations and removes the requirement for ROV vessel support.
We are a dynamic, friendly, diverse, and inclusive workplace and welcome all applications. We consider safety and security a priority.
We need engineers who:
- Are self-driven to deliver high quality software and can meet deadlines with confidence
- Have a proactive attitude and a professional approach in working with cross-disciplinary teams
- Are excited to learn and equip themselves with new skills and technologies
- Can develop software in C/C++ for various embedded system platforms
- Can collaborate with software and hardware engineers in development, testing and troubleshooting of software stack during project milestone rollouts, in workshop and offshore environments
- Are willing to travel domestically and internationally (<10%) within the company to support testing and trials
- 8+ years of working experience in C/C++ based software and/or embedded system products
- Experience with a scripting language (e.g. Python) and a shell-scripting language (e.g. Bash)
- Proven experience with software development life cycle and in shipping software and/or embedded-system products to customers
- Degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering / Mechatronic Engineering / Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- Familiarity with embedded systems development using Rust programming language
- Experience with real-time operating systems such as FreeRTOS
- Experience building command-and-control software for autonomous vehicles or mission-critical systems
- Experience in developing applications using a robotics middleware (e.g. ROS, MOOS)
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through delivery to customers
- Experience implementing drivers and applications using embedded systems communication protocols (e.g. I2C, CAN, SPI, etc.)
- Experience deploying software using continuous integration/deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- Experience with cloud-based application development (e.g. on Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with a Version Control System (e.g. Git)
- Familiarity with MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience in testing and validation of embedded systems
- Experience with managing and/or mentoring a software engineering team to deliver a defined outcome
- Ability to effectively communicate technical subject matter
To apply for this role please visit our website: