Senior Electrical Engineer - Power Transmission & Distribution – United Kingdom
Chart your own course and change the world — with the support of people whose interests are aligned with yours. At Burns & McDonnell, opportunity is waiting. We’re looking for people with big ideas and an entrepreneurial mindset. It’s those kinds of people who’ve helped us grow from a small consulting business back in 1898 to a global leader in engineering, construction and consulting solutions. Today, we’re a thriving company with 7,000 professionals working in 50+ offices worldwide and recognised as the global leader in Transmission & Distribution.
We’re growing our UK business and have exciting opportunities for experienced and motivated industry professionals to join us in our Birmingham office as we continue our journey to help make clients successful. We have a specific opportunity for an experienced electrical engineer to join our engineering team, working on a variety of electrical power system engineering and consultancy projects.
We are addressing projects across the energy spectrum, encompassing substations, overhead and underground systems, and smart networks as the UK expands investment and technology to support distributed energy and a shift to electric vehicles. If you are excited about working both on the grid edge and in the heart of the electricity network, then we want to hear from you. We are Burns & McDonnell and we Create Amazing.
This role will be a key part of our electrical engineering team, bringing experience in developing designs and preparing design packages for DNO’s, Developers, significant technical projects and on smart system projects. The key tasks and responsibilities are as follows:
- Working for the Engineering Manager, completing your own engineering projects and overseeing other engineers in larger packages of work.
- Producing electricity substation design packages, compliant to DNO/TNO technical standards
- Network planning up to 132kV for new electric utility connections
- Carrying out earthing studies and substation earth system design
- Design of power system protection schemes
- Preparation of technical specification documentation
- Carrying out consultancy role on FEED stage projects
- CDM compliance and preparation documentation
- Technical sign-off of designs produced by less experienced engineers within the team.
- Oversee technical delivery of engineering projects carried out by the team.
- Assist with bid stage technical solutions
- Interact in a professional manner with clients and colleagues to achieve project objectives
- Able to manage multiple projects and conflicting deadlines
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a project team
- Ongoing development of industry relationships to assist with future technical project delivery, development of future project opportunities, and Burns & McDonnell brand recognition.
- Personal professional development and partaking in professional bodies and industry groups
- Technical mentoring of developing engineers within the team
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
BEng in Electrical or Power System Engineering (equivalent qualifications in a similar field may also be considered)
- 8 years’ experience working within the electricity supply industry (ESI).
- 5 years’ experience in a detailed electrical design role, relating to electricity substations at a range of voltages. Should have experience at 132kV and advantageous if experience to higher transmission voltages.
- Knowledge of DNO technical standards for electricity network design and operation. Advantageous if have transmission experience as well.
- Up to date knowledge of ENA standards, ESI codes and regulations, and construction industry legislations. In particular:
- CDM 2015 roles and responsibilities
- The Distribution Code
- The Grid Code
- Proficiency in detailed electrical design in the following areas:
- Power system protection schemes
- Substation plant specification and interfacing design
- Earthing system analysis and design, using CDEGS software
- IT literate, with good knowledge of using Microsoft Office applications.
- AutoCAD experience would be beneficial.
- Membership of relevant industry body, e.g. The IET.
- IEng or CEng professional registration highly preferable.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to apply intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to a range of assignments.
- Pro-active in building knowledge and understanding of the industry.
- Ability to maintain strong focus on detailed technical work to meet tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and excellent presentational skills in production of design drawings and technical documentation
- Ability to develop innovative and practical solutions to a range of problems and an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger solution.
- Ability to make an effective and collaborative contribution to the team through sharing knowledge, promoting ideas and valuing the contribution of all team members
To apply please email CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org