This is an exciting opportunity to join Equinix in a leadership role, planning and directing the day to day operations and long term strategic direction of construction projects across the UK, Ireland, France and the Nordics.
This position reports to the VP, Global Construction Management.
To plan and direct the day to day operations and long-term strategic direction of Construction projects in the Northern Hub which consist of the UK, Ireland, France and the Nordics. The UK and France are two of Equinix’s largest markets both regionally and globally and which are currently undergoing and are likely to further experience major, aggressive expansions in the order of $250M+ (phased) and $600M+ (all phases) of CapEx.
To provide leadership and direction in the areas of company construction policies, vendor relationships, accountability, training and employee development, subcontractor and supplier relationships, project and group profitability, and all other areas covered within and by this group all in order to achieve overall Company objectives.
- Oversee and manage all construction projects throughout the Northern Hub.Provide guidance and project leadership including ground up construction, remodels, renovations, etc. ensuring projects are meeting or exceeding company expectations
- Via a matrix structure direct an internal team of 5-7 per project comprising internal construction managers, internal design team disciplines as well as Procurement, Operations, and IT/Network support teams.
- Direct as many as 15+ external vendors per project comprising General Contractors, A&E design teams, commissioning agents, equipment suppliers, etc.
- Assist with the development and implementation of company and departmental processes and best management practices within areas of responsibility
- Ensure effective contract administration including generation, review, management, and monitoring of prime contracts, subcontracts, change orders, cost forecasts, and other pertinent documents and documentation. Assure that internal controls are in place at each step of the process.
- Inspect work in place and work in progress to insure same meets or exceeds quality, specification, and schedule requirements
- Maintain strong working relationships with internal and external team members including staff, subcontractors, vendors, architects, and other industry professionals
- Monitor, analyze and manage controllable expenditures
- Direct staff to ensure efficient and effective departmental performance including training, professional development, and career advancement opportunities
- Interview, hire, and assure effective training and development of staff
- Provide Company subject-matter expertise in areas of responsibility
- Reports status, successes, challenges and plans of action to management team and company on a timely basis
- Develop, manage and be accountable for achievement of key departmental metrics
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering, construction management or a related field.
- 15+ years progressive experience in successfully managing commercial construction projects or programs
- Strong working knowledge of building construction and project management processes and procedures at a global scale.
- Strong working knowledge and experience of the design of data centres in various geographies including NA, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Track record in concurrently overseeing multiple, large-scale data centre construction projects and with capital expenditure oversight of $250M+
- Ability to analyze and evaluate construction documents including drawings, specifications and contracts
- Competency in CPM scheduling methods, construction cost estimating, proposal generation and development, document management and contract administration
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and other industry computer applications Leadership
- Exceptional leadership, communication, written and verbal presentation, and team-building skills proven in multiple international regions.
- At least five to eight years of people management experience including strong competencies in talent identification and development, coaching, and mentoring proven in multiple international regions.
- Demonstrated success building and leading teams of construction professionals at varying levels of professional development proven in multiple international regions.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, exceptional communication, negotiation and analytical skills required proven in multiple international regions
- Ability to multi-task and work within a team projects in an extremely fast paced and demanding environment and internationally.
- Highly organized and detail oriented