Applications are invited for Research Fellow to work on Dr Liu’s EPSRC project ‘Photonic-assisted RF signal processing’ and Prof. Darwazeh’s research project on ‘Broadband RF devices’. The post is available immediately and is funded for 2 years in the first instance. Further funding to support the post may be available. The successful candidate must be in post by the 1st October 2019.
Duties of the postholder will include aspects of project management, communication and administration related to the smooth running of both projects. The post-holder will be expected to work with other researchers on relevant projects to exchange results, discuss ideas, and reports in regular project meetings.
Successful applicants should have a PhD (or be about to submit) in Electronic Engineering or related discipline with an excellent research track record and high quality publications in one or more of the programme research areas. The applicant should have excellent written and spoken English, and presentation skills for the dissemination of research
Main purpose of the job
To investigate advanced optical methods in conjunction with broadband RF circuits to dynamically process ultra wide bandwidth microwave signals, enabling high speed and secure data communications beyond the bandwidth and resolution limitation in conventional optical and wireless communication systems. The group at UCL is a leading research team equipped with more than £20m facility to support integrating optics signal processing techniques with RF communication systems.
Duties and responsibilities
- Carrying out research into design of optical systems and RF circuit for wide bandwidth RF signal processing including:
- New approach to process RF signals using optical means, tailored to application requirements: bandwidth, resolution, scalability, latency
- Lead RF & Microwave circuit design of active and passive devices over the spectrum of DC-60GHz
- Theoretical and experimental investigation on RF Circuit theory, transmission line analysis and synthesis.
- Performing experimental work to characterise amplitude and phase noise of integrated optoelectronic systems
- Collaboration with researchers within other parts of the projects and with project partners
- Disseminating research findings by writing high quality, in depth journal articles
- Preparation of presentation materials for a variety of audiences, ranging from world-class research to the general public and schools
- Presenting the research at international conferences
- Contribute regularly to project technical reports and the publication of research results in high impact conferences and journals publications and promotion of these through UCL press office/media
- Assist in the supervision of project and research students
- To support preparation of further research project proposals, interaction with project partners, and administrative support to both projects
- As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and amended in consultation with the postholder. The postholder will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department/Division.
- The postholder will actively follow UCL policies including Equal Opportunities and Race Equality policies.
- The postholder will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to make Informal enquiries about the post to Prof. Izzat Darwazeh (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr Zhixin Liu (email@example.com)
All applications should be submitted via UCL online
recruitment system at the following link:
Job Reference: 1809783
If you have any queries regarding the application process please contact Vicky Coombes at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 1809783
UCL Taking Action for Equality