Chart your own course and change the world — with the support of people whose interests are aligned with yours. Sound amazing? At Burns & McDonnell, opportunity is waiting. We’re looking for strategic thinkers with big ideas and an entrepreneurial mindset. It’s those kinds of people who’ve helped us grow from a small consulting business back in 1898 to a global leader in engineering, construction, environmental, full EPC and consulting solutions. Today, we’re a thriving company with more than 7,000 professionals working in 40+ offices worldwide and recognised in the US as the leading Transmission & Distribution services company.
We’re growing our team and have exciting opportunities for experienced and motivated industry professionals to join us in our Birmingham office as we head out on our journey to help make clients successful in the UK. We have a specific opportunity for an experienced Project Planner with strong UK experience.
We are addressing projects across the power transmission & distribution industry, encompassing substations, overhead lines and underground cables, as well as supporting the challenges of future networks as we innovate in the types of investment and technology to support more renewable energy, a shift to electric vehicles and increasing energy storage. If you are excited about working both at the grid edge and in the heart of the electricity network then we want to hear from you. We are Burns & McDonnell and we Create Amazing.
To succeed in this role the successful candidate will have experience of building, developing and managing schedules for high voltage substation projects within the UK. This includes a good understanding of the design process and construction sequence.
- Comprehensive understanding of project control methodologies and associated systems such as Primavera P6, MSP and other systems
- Providing a range of project control services including input to the establishing of systems, implementing planning controls, scheduling and prioritisation, monitoring and reporting and dashboard reporting
- Responsible for schedule management and earned value management
- Build tender schedules for substation projects, so must be able to interpret drawings and client information and understand the general sequence of construction for HV substations.
- Build design schedules with the design team.
- Analysis and evaluation of schedule management involving the critical path of scheduling techniques.
- Impact analysis of delays and change events, and implementation of agreed Compensation Events
- Support the risk management process
- Knowledge of relevant industry regulation, standards and protocols
- Developing a thorough understanding of client requirements to deliver appropriate solutions and ability to articulate these to clients
- Appreciation and understanding of CDM regulations and working in a “high compliance” industry.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience – Personal Qualities
- Must have the right interpersonal skills and communication skills to build a culture of trust with the project team.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working within Hv sector
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Planner
- The ability to thrive in pressure situations.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Be able to work on own initiative.
- Computer literate.
- Must have commercial awareness and understand the effect of site-based activities on the project financial performance.
- Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively, particularly to external parties such as the client, their customers and local authorities
At Burns & McDonnell qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability or protected veteran status. We believe an inclusive culture is necessary to grow a successful and strong organization.