Project Management (P3M) Graduate
Location: Bristol, Salisbury or High Wycombe based offices
About the opportunity
Due to expansion in our European-based business, Nova Systems have an exciting opportunity to place a junior Project Management Professional on our Graduate Scheme. Working on site with clients both in the UK and Europe, but with an initial focus on Southern UK, the successful candidate will be involved in tasks at all levels of projects and programmes in our expanding technical aerospace and management consultancy business.
While the role will be based in one of our offices at Bristol, Salisbury or High Wycombe, it will require periods working at client sites across the UK and possibly Europe. As a privately owned engineering professional services firm, we conduct business in a range of government and industry market sectors, where we apply our specialist engineering and management skill sets to assist in the development and delivery of complex projects. We work on some of the most interesting, diverse and, at times, high risk projects, meaning we are committed to giving all our employees the opportunity to grow their project management skills in embedded teams, gain valuable experience and develop professionally across industries and across regions.
The aim of the Nova Systems Europe Graduate scheme, as part of the wider Nova Group Graduate Scheme, is to foster the personal and professional development of the successful candidate. We will provide them with the experience, supervision, mentoring and training necessary to assist them with succeeding in their future career with the Nova Group and as a future Chartered Project Management professional.
What you’ll actually do
Working directly with our senior operational and engineering consultants, the successful applicant will be part of a two-year Graduate Scheme that fast-tracks graduates into being a part of our larger projects while training and learning key P3M skills. After this time, successful graduates are promoted to Level 1 P3M consultant level. The scheme provides a series of placements initially working across Defence and Aerospace sectors, to contribute to client work and internal business projects. The opportunity to work across other sectors is expected to materialise as the placement develops and all graduates will be supported by mentors with decades of project and programme leadership experience.
- The first-year focusses on developing core professional skills, gaining practitioner qualifications, shadowing our operational/engineering consultants, and contributing to internal business services activities/projects and external operational project delivery improvements. This will provide both breadth and depth to the candidates’ knowledge under the guidance of an assigned mentor and a support lead from within each project team.
- In the second year, they will get the chance to increase contribution to the delivery of Nova internal and external client projects in support roles, applying the skills and experience gained in the first year.
Primary responsibilities will include;
- Identifying, recording and monitoring project risks, threats and opportunities, ensuring they are appropriately managed and preparing project status briefs for reporting to Senior Management.
- Assisting with controlling budgets and expenditure, reporting, decision making and covering the governance of change within projects.
- Developing substantiated recommendations and writing reports.
- The development of high level and detailed project and programme schedules, with the skills to monitor progress against the planned schedule, create baselines, identify critical paths and produce risk adjusted schedules.
- Learning about Project Controls such as planning, monitoring, controlling and performance reporting.
- Delivering business change and transformation, assisting with business analysis, capability development and delivery and organisational change.
- Supporting our primary teams delivering major project, programme and portfolio management with business case development, benefits management, requirements management and product development.
- Supporting Governance within projects and programmes, aiding in the decision-making process.
- Support Assurance and Audit services delivering P3M3 assessment and project or programme reviews as need arises.
- Lead on projects to support our dynamic business services team in Marketing, HR, Project support and business development (developing leads and writing bids).
What you’ll need
- About to complete or have a degree in Project Management, a Business with PM focus or PM Master's degree.
- Understanding of project management skills and being able to manage people, time, quality and financial resources to deliver successful projects.
- Understanding of managing a client project from start to completion using industry standard methodologies such as AXELOS, APMBOK, PMIBOK, Waterfall, Agile, Hybrid etc.
- Have awareness of project planning and control, the business environment and programme and portfolio management including those areas highlighted in the Tasks outlined above.
- Because of the potential requirements for a Security Clearance, applications are invited from UK nationals who have lived in the UK for at least the last 5 years. You will either have SC or willing to be subjected to the clearance process.
- An interest in, and some understanding of technical systems.
- An ability to use your initiative and propose innovative solutions to project and programme management issues.
- Skills in using various project management software tools
- Benefited from a degree course accredited by the Association for Project Management, the Project Management Institute, AXELOS or Chartered Management Institute.
- Experience in delivery management or PMO service delivery.
- Have an accredited Project Management qualification such as APM PMP, PRINCE2, CAPM, Agile.
- Previous experience of working in a project environment applying project management methodology, tools and techniques to contribute to successful project delivery.
- Experience of gathering data, validating information received and contributing to the development of management information reports.
- An understanding of contract management and good practice when working with suppliers.
- Have strong data analysis, interpretation and presentational skills.
- A clear and concise communicator both written and verbal.
- Are able to take a long-term plan, understand its complexity, and turn it into easily understandable, deliverable parts.
- Have the capacity to listen, the confidence to challenge and resilient personality to embed in dynamic projects quickly and add a positive difference.
- Proactive self-learner who can find new ways to improve business and project delivery.
- Commercially minded with a desire to spot opportunities to improve the business and its offering to clients.
- Desire to be a Project Management professional with a focus on continual professional development.
- Positive and committed team member, who works to very high standards and cares about client interests, and Nova’s and own professional reputation.
- Self-motivated and able to operate with a high degree of autonomy
- Problem solving skills
- Flexible, career driven and can work independently or part of a team
- A willingness to learn more about the design, production and procurement of technically complex systems.
Nova Systems is an international Professional Service Provider specialising in the provision of engineering and management services, providing industry and government with world class independent expertise in delivering complex projects and solving technologically challenging problems.
Nova employs over 500 specialist consultants across the UK, Europe, Singapore and Australia, with UK offices in Salisbury, Bristol and High Wycombe.
With a strong company culture and high retention rate, Nova Group has been recognised as one of "Top 50 best places to work" in Australia and Singapore and Nova Systems UK won 8th place in the 2019 UK Best Workplace. These are exciting times for us and we’re keen to take our people with us in our success.
We offer a collaborative and inclusive working environment that allows our people the flexibility and support to develop their careers with us. We also have Chartered Project Management Professionals working to various established PM frameworks that will act as Mentors for your progression.
We offer a generous total reward package, including a professional development allowance, and leave entitlement, professional membership fees paid, 25 days annual leave, team and social events, annual work conference, annual and immediate recognition schemes, up to 7% contributory pension, life insurance, employee assistance helpline and much more!
Please submit your CV along with any additional information you feel will be beneficial in supporting your application via our website.
We are committed to increasing diversity of staff within Nova Systems Europe and within the aerospace and engineering sector as a whole. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the requirements of the role descriptions and we are committed to equal opportunity, equal treatment and respect for every individual. We offer, and value, flexible working and we are also proud to be committed to mental health awareness and to actively supporting the wellbeing of our team. If you have special requirements, please do let us know.