UKRI-NERC invites applications from across the NERC science remit to join its Science Committee. Science Committee members should have a broad strategic perspective and expertise to support the development and delivery of the UKRI-NERC strategic priorities, investments and policies. Science Committee is the key source of advice to the UKRI-NERC Executive and Council on science related issues.
NERC is looking to appoint four members with research experience (as set out in the person specification section in the application pack, link below).
Members sit on the Committee as individuals, rather than representing a particular organisation and will provide advice on:
- How to support an excellent and sustainable UK environmental science community that seizes opportunities, in UKRI and international contexts, to achieve the following goals:
- to advance the frontiers of knowledge;
- to address government, UKRI and NERC strategic priorities;
- to deliver beneficial economic and social impacts.
- Priority areas for future rounds of NERC strategic research and innovation investment.
- Commissioning, effectiveness and performance of NERC and UKRI investments including: discovery science; strategic research and innovation; postgraduate training, fellowships and early career support; national capability; scientific infrastructure and capital; international partnership and subscriptions.
- NERC funding policy for all of the above funding streams.
Provide recommendations for new NERC investment:
- Strategic Research and Innovation Programmes – assess submitted proposals against published criteria and recommend which proposals should be funded by NERC.
- Strategic Research and Innovation Highlight Topics - assess submitted ideas for Highlight Topic against published criteria and recommend which should go forward to a funding call, and at what level of expenditure.
Further information and details of how to apply, (including the application form which must be completed), can be found on the vacancies page via the weblink below:
The total time commitment for Science Committee members is expected to be up to 20 days pa
UKRI-NERC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all. Applications from women, those with a disability, members of minority ethnic groups, and groups currently under-represented at senior levels in the research and innovation community, are therefore especially encouraged.