Are you someone who can help solve complex problems?
As a Modelling & Simulation Engineer at Frazer-Nash, you will work closely with our clients and help them to make better decisions for the future. Working across Defence, Energy and Transport sectors, you will be applying your data science and engineering skills on several distinct projects over the course of a year.
We pride ourselves on having a broad understanding of the principles, methodologies, techniques, and technologies available and selecting the right approach for each individual problem to make a real difference for the client and the world we live in.
In this role you’ll work within existing project teams, contributing by:
- Engaging with clients to understand and characterise their problem;
- Designing and applying modelling and analytical approaches at the right level of fidelity for each situation;
- Visualising and communicating results in an engaging and impactful way, often to a non-technical audience;
- Using the right/best technology to implement solutions, selected from our broad experience and by staying informed of the latest technologies;
- Developing skills across the project lifecycle: from identifying new opportunities, developing winning bids, implementing technical solutions, and managing project delivery.
Some of our recent successes include:
- Supporting an NHS Trust's Elective Recovery Board by modelling the flow of patients through surgical pathways to forecast future waiting times and provide evidence into the business case for a new-build facility;
- Helping energy distribution providers to identify vulnerable customers based on their smart meter usage data, and guide engineers to respond with the most appropriate support in the case of an outage;
- Helping to support senior decision-makers in their decarbonisation strategy by building an interactive visualisation of the impact of introducing decarbonisation schemes towards achieving Net Zero;
- Enabling a Defence customer to make informed infrastructure investment decisions by modelling the operations of a military base to determine the optimum mix of equipment, facilities, and trained personnel;
- Reducing design time and programme risk for a new autonomous system (UAV) by developing a simulated environment (in Unity) to rapidly design, test and integrate systems (e.g. computer vision, flight controls, mission planning) before live trials.
Our people are at the very heart of what we do, they are the reason our clients work with us to solve some of their greatest challenges. We have a culture of openness and a learning-focused environment where everyone is given the opportunity to develop the breadth and depth of their skills and stay on top of the latest methods and technologies.
At Frazer-Nash, we want all of our people to feel they belong, confident in the knowledge that we value and respect the commitment they have made by entrusting their careers and expertise to us. We are committed to fostering a working culture that brings out the very best in our people, regardless of their circumstances, identity or background. We want our people to be themselves, feel empowered to achieve their personal and professional goals, and know that we respect the unique value they bring to the company. In support of this, we encourage thoughtful behaviours and work to foster a collaborative working environment.
If you’re interested to join our team and are keen to help us to make a difference by solving problems that matter, then we’d love to hear from you.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A strong STEM degree;
- Experience applying modelling and analytical (data science) techniques;
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language, such as C#, Java, Python, Typescript, or similar;
- Systems thinking skills; being able to see the bigger picture, abstract problems and communicate complex concepts clearly;
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills, tackle new problems and engage in a shared learning environment;
- Self-motivation to deliver high quality outputs as part of a team.
It is to your advantage if you meet any of the following desirable requirements:
- Experience leading technical projects applying modelling and analytical techniques (e.g. system dynamics, discrete event simulation, agent based modelling, Bayesian approaches);
- Experience developing and deploying desktop/web applications and software using technologies such as WPF, .Net, Angular, React, Docker, Azure/AWS etc.;
- Experience running workshops with stakeholders, eliciting requirements, and presenting results;
- Experience applying the agile methodology to software development and/or project delivery;
- Experience using modern game engines for engineering problems (e.g. Unity, Unreal, ROS, AirSim).
To read about our comprehensive benefits package, which includes paid membership fees to a professional institution, and to apply, please follow this link: