Job description for SDA Mechanical Engineers
Are you fascinated by innovative technology and excited by the opportunity to work first hand on military platforms? We at the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are excited to be hiring talented engineers to work on one of the most complex feats of engineering in the UK!
We have exciting positions for Mechanical Engineers to work across the whole submarine lifecycle. Depending on role, you could be managing the delivery of mechanical components and systems on new classes of Submarines, or be responsible for the in-service maintenance of systems and equipment on board. Building on your excellent technical expertise, these roles offer you the chance to work with cutting edge technology and talented individuals, from across the Submarine Enterprise.
We are keen to hear from engineers with nuclear knowledge, from either defence or civil industry, or from exceptional candidates with experience of the design and manufacture of complex mechanical components.
Due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only. Some of these posts will require the successful applicant to obtain DV clearance once in the post.
Responsibilities for SDA Mechanical Engineers
Your exceptional communication and influencing skills will allow you to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, in order to obtain and relay information critical to these projects.
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Liaising with Approving Authorities, suppliers and contractors, to confirm that components are delivered on time and to the required quality and standards, including managing the acquisition safety aspects
• Leading on the development of requirements related to your own area of specialism including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
• Providing expert advice and guidance within your own technical area to solve complex technical problems and to identify application risks
• Monitoring and implementing changes in any governance and assurance policies and procedures, to ensure the ‘safe & professional’ status of your area
• Supporting and providing recommendations on design intent and safety, availability or capability of the platforms
• Working directly with the Royal Navy to ensure the platforms are safe and available to conduct operations as and when required
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a relevant Level 4 (e.g. HNC, or higher) qualification, or have relevant equivalent experience
• Hold Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer status, or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Experience in a mechanical engineering role and providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience working in a maritime environment or another within regulated industry (e.g. nuclear, oil & gas, rail, aerospace, etc.)
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within the SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within the SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Click here to apply.