Applications are invited for the position of Lecturer (Above the Bar, Permanent, Full-time) in Mechanical Engineering (Mechanical Design) at NUI Galway. The University seeks to appoint an academic staff member with expertise in mechanical design and analysis, and its application in engineering practice in industry and research.
The new appointee will be expected to develop an outstanding research programme in the analysis and design of mechanical systems, components and products, broadly defined. The appointee will have opportunities to work with colleagues across the University’s academic disciplines and research institutes. The appointees will be encouraged to attract R&D funding in fundamental and applied research areas, and to work closely with local and national industry.
The new appointees will be required to contribute to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes, student project supervision, and administration activities of the Discipline of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Engineering, and the wider University. In particular, appointees will be expected to contribute to the development of taught postgraduate programmes.
The successful candidates shall possess:
• A primary degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Energy Engineering, or a closely related discipline;
• A PhD in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Energy Engineering or a closely related discipline;
• Experience in third level teaching, including lecturing and student supervision, on topics such as mechanical engineering fundamentals, mechanical analysis and design, manufacturing, and computer-aided design, at undergraduate and/or graduate level;
• Expertise in current mechanical engineering design practice in industry;
• An appropriate publication record, to include peer-reviewed journal publications, an appropriate research funding record, and the capacity to develop a strong research programme in Mechanical Engineering;
• An ability to conduct programme administration and management in a public service university environment;
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills, and an ability and commitment to develop collaborative relationships with other academic staff in the pursuit of teaching and research objectives in Mechanical Engineering;
• A strong commitment to working with colleagues within existing, established research centres and groups and a willingness to develop and lead new research activity and research groupings;
• A strong commitment to contributing to the development and delivery of established and new postgraduate taught programmes and modules;
• A strong commitment to working with industry.
For informal enquiries, prospective applicants are welcome to contact:
Dr. Nathan Quinlan, Head of Mechanical Engineering: email@example.com.
Ms. Mary Dempsey, Senior Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see the following links for additional information: http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering/
€66,762 to €87,701 p.a. (applicable to new entrants effective from January, 2011)
(This appointment will be made on the Lecturer Above the Bar scale in line with current Government pay policy)
Closing date for receipt of applications is 17:00 (Irish Time) on Thursday, 16th September 2021. It will not be possible to consider applications received after the closing date.
Garda vetting will apply.
Appointments will be conditional on work authorisation validation.
Further details are available at http://www.dbei.gov.ie
For more information and Application Form please see website: http://www.nuigalway.ie/about-us/jobs/ Applications should be submitted online.
National University of Ireland Galway is an equal opportunities employer.