We are looking to recruit a skilled and experienced workshop fellow to ensure the safe operation of our new wood and metal workshop, as well as providing manufacturing, design and production support to Hackspace members. Imperial College Advanced Hackspace (ICAH) aims to connect innovators and inventors with the tools and expertise they need to realise their creative ideas. Since its creation in 2014, it has offered a unique environment for students and staff to engage in community-linked prototyping and disruptive technology development and now constitutes one of the largest prototyping networks in the world. This is a unique venture, unprecedented both in terms of scale and ambition within a university environment, and as part of our expansion, we are developing a fully equipped wood and metal workshop to complement the manufacturing spaces that already operate under ICAH’s umbrella.
Duties and responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
- Safe operation of the hackspace wood and metal workshop and maintenance and upkeep of a safe and risk-free environment.
- Making recommendations and contributing to the continual improvement of the workshop and its operation.
- Advising and assisting in the development, design, preparation, construction, assembly and application of workshop equipment.
- Providing technical support, advice, induction and demonstration in manufacturing and prototyping. This includes the use of lathes, milling machines, metal fabrication equipment (TIG welding, plasma cutting), sanders, drills, saws and other equipment including hand tools associated with the workshop.
- Undertaking safety training as required for workshop supervision and maintenance.
This is an evolving role and one that one that would suit a committed individual who is keen to be at the forefront of networked science and community-linked research ventures. We expect to recruit fellows with complementary skills and so expect that you will have more experience with some of the roles/duties than others.
You will have:
- Experience in mixed-mode workshop design and production, additive manufacturing and 3D printing techniques, CNC processes, or other advanced manufacturing techniques.
- Experience in the maintenance and repair of workshop equipment and detailed knowledge of mechanical workshop practices and workshop instrumentation.
- Experience in working within, developing and maintaining strict health and safety frameworks and a strong understanding of Workplace Health and Safety regulations and procedures.
- Ability to work closely, proactively and flexibly with staff and students to deliver research and training outcomes, offering advice and guidance and to nurture and support our community of innovators and experience of contributing innovative ideas to solve technical problems.
This role would ideally suit someone with an interest in multidisciplinary research and disruptive technology development, turning creative concept and ideas into working prototypes and supporting entrepreneurial ventures.
To apply for this role please visit our recruitment page: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/PRO00211/imperial-college-advanced-hackspace-workshop-fellow