As Head of School, you will occupy a key academic leadership position within the University. Reporting to the Faculty Dean, you will lead and manage the academic business of the School in relation both to strategy and to operations.
Candidates will have outstanding leadership credentials and a track record of excellence in research and education. An open and inclusive approach towards academic and professional service colleagues is a key requirement of the role, as is the ability to develop partnerships and to promote knowledge exchange. A deep commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion is also essential.
• Provide engaging, inspirational academic leadership and management, fostering the University’s vision and culture within the School.
• Lead the development and delivery of the School’s strategic vision, in line with the University and Faculty strategy, building on its existing strengths and recognising new opportunities, and inspiring colleagues to deliver the vision.
• Work with the Dean and other Heads of School, and academic and professional services leaders across the Faculty and University, to develop an ambitious collective academic strategy.
• Lead a positive working culture, promoting the advancement of equality, diversity and inclusion for staff and students, enabling everyone, including people who face barriers to achieve their full potential.
• Be an advocate for the range of disciplines in the School.
• Develop, deliver and lead people in the School to implement strategic and operational plans to address the challenges that the School faces.
• Ensure their own academic standing as a professor in the School.
• Deliver to a high standard, the managerial and administrative duties associated with the role of Head of School, working with the School senior management team (and particularly with the School Manager). This includes maintaining and developing robust staff review, mentoring and staff development processes, ethics and risk ownership and health and safety.
• Deliver the School’s overall budget and achieve value for money. Create a sustainable School, championing staffing, space, equipment, finance and infrastructure needs.
• Engage and develop partnerships with external stakeholders, including government, international agencies, industries and other universities.
• Ensure a high-quality education and student experience. Ensure the development of new and reinvigorated undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes, appropriately aligned with the research priorities of the Faculty, including Faculty-wide and cross-Faculty programmes.
• Ensure the development and delivery of a confident outward-facing research strategy exploiting partnerships within and beyond the University.
• Further develop a world-class postgraduate researcher community.
• Champion and represent the integral role of new and emerging technologies, and associated technical support, to the School’s academic disciplines.
After the term of office as Head of School, the postholder will remain in post as a professor. Further details about the professorial role profiles are available on the University’s website at http://www.bris.ac.uk/ hr/grading/academic/role-profiles/