Head of Buildings and Facilities Management
Job Ref: 4931
Job Title: Head of Buildings and Facilities Management
Job type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £68,760 - £73,935 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 1st October 2020
Do you have a proven track record in building and facilities management and site services?
Are you a member of BIFM or another relevant professional institution, with the ability to make sound business decisions?
If so, The UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) has a new and exciting opportunity for an inspirational leader to join as Head of Buildings and Facilities Management, reporting directly into the CFO and working closely with the COO and the leadership team. The role includes being the Asset Steward for all UKAEA buildings, to manage the UKAEA`s Buildings and Facilities Management functions and to ensure the effective operational management of UKAEA`s building assets and required property services.
The role will primarily be located at UKAEA`s main site in Culham and will also be responsible for Rotherham and any new facility within the UKAEA portfolio. The role will manage approximately 45 direct reports and 150 term contractors and support services. Culham Science Centre operates world leading research facilities and services and comprises 200 acres with a current tenant portfolio of 50 organisations of varying sizes and sectors, with continued growth planned.
You will be responsible for the development and implementation of UKAEA`s Buildings and Facilities Management strategy; ensuring that environmental sustainability is embedded into all decisions taken by the team. You will also oversee, in conjunction with procurement, the contract management of on-site facilities management contractors, off-site call off contractors and refurbishment contractors.
With a budgeted spend in the region of £10m per annum, other areas of accountability will include:
- Managing full cyclical and reactive maintenance planning for buildings and their utilities and services
- Managing the Facilities Management team (which provides property and facility services at Culham, Rotherham and any new facility within the UKAEA portfolio) and the Accommodation and Administration team (ensuring site accommodation is fit for purpose and modernised where possible)
- Oversee renovations and refurbishments
- Develop future lifecycle works programmes in conjunction with building wear and tear and condition surveys
- Discuss, in collaboration with key stakeholders, changes to commissioning procedures, test procedures, operating instructions and the response procedures that cover any foreseeable emergencies with the systems
- Ensure that maintenance, calibration and inspection schedules exist, are current and co-ordinate with the UKAEA asset strategies and policies
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden). Our Inclusion Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BIFM accreditation (or similar qualification) and IOSH or NEBOSH qualifications
- Member of RICS or other relevant professional institution
- Proven track record of delivery in building and facilities management and site services
- Qualified to degree level
- Highly focused on providing excellent customer service, stakeholder engagement and team building
- The ability to make sound business decisions, balancing the pressure of maintaining a safe and enabling environment, with safeguarding public money
- Highly organised, self-motivated and able to deliver in a high-pressure environment
- Previous experience of working in the research and technology Industries
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
- We actively promote equality and value diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions