Hardware Design Engineer
Senior Project Leader / Project Leader
Condition and Structural Health Monitoring (CSM)
Granta Park, Cambridge or Port Talbot, South Wales
TWI, formed in 1946, is a world-leading not-for-profit research and technology organisation with a turnover in 2016 of £80m, from bases in the UK, South East Asia, India, the Middle East, Central Asia and the USA. Over 900 staff provide expertise in joining and fabrication, material science and structural integrity. Services include generic research; contract R&D; technical information; engineering services and advice; standards development, and training and qualification services.
The Integrity Management Technology Group is expanding due to significant order growth; therefore, we are seeking a talented and experienced individual to join us in this fast-moving environment. This new role underpins and drives our technical excellence in an expanding market share. You will contribute to internationally renowned work on established and emerging Structural Health and Condition Monitoring solutions including systems, processes, techniques and procedures. You will strengthen the core skills of an innovative team and be responsible for project and product management, preparation and negotiation of proposals, R&D and innovation management.
Job description and role duties:
The Condition and Structural Health Monitoring Section (CSM) has grown its international business and is now continuing expanding to the regional office in Wales. CSM are seeking an astute, talented and ambitious Hardware Design Engineer to take part of an existing team, working on mid Technology Readiness Level (TRL), into our growing range of projects. Applicants must be able to demonstrate good teamwork, initiative, self-motivation and flexibility. An engineering degree and relevant industrial experience on product or systems design and development is essential. Applicants should have demonstrable aptitudes on the design, test and analysis tools relevant to the function with practical hands-on experience and development related to data/signal analysis.
The objective is to contribute to the expertise of the team with the following technical and managerial skills:
Contributing to the product development team and leading systems’ integration activities including:
- PCB and schematics design and manufacturing, working with suppliers
- Components selection and optimisation
- Firmware design and integration
- Signal processing and signal conditioning
- Hands-on experience and self-sufficient using laboratory equipment
- Desirable experience with µVision, C++, STM32 bit µcontrollers, PIC µcontrollers
- Participating in fast moving innovative environment
- Participating in feasibility analysis, project scoping, resource planning and cost estimating, providing realistic task durations for schedule/milestone planning.
- Build procedures for SHM systems based on Acoustic Emission, Long Range Ultrasonics and Vibration Analysis techniques,
- Carrying out condition assessment of structures/machinery using methodologies for calculation of cracking activity, corrosion rate, damage progress and other mechanisms.
Successful candidates require:
- Education to Engineering Degree level.
- Ability to adapt to new environments and applications and capture requirements autonomously
- Intrinsically high levels of motivation, excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong documentation, reporting and writing skills
- A good mixture of analytical, experimental and creative capabilities
- Demonstrate some experience with collaborative business and product development
- Conduct themselves in line with TWI’s values of teamwork, innovation, taking responsibility, customer focus, adaptability and respect.
This role requires regular travel within the UK and occasionally overseas according to the demands of project work.
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire or Port Talbot, South Wales
Job Role: Senior Project Leader or Project Leader, Technology
Hours: 36 hours p/wk.
Closing Date: Friday 12th July 2019
To find out more about TWI and our corporate culture please visit our website:
To apply, please click on the link below: