About the opportunity
Due to expansion in its European-based business coupled with the ever-growing importance of digital technologies, Nova Systems has an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Engineer with an interest in working with digital technologies, data science and/or modelling and simulation. Working on site with clients both in the UK and Europe, but with an initial focus on southern UK, the successful candidate will be involved across a wide spectrum of Aerospace and Defence projects with the opportunity to use their knowledge and skills to help move Nova into new markets.
While the role will be nominally based in one of our offices at Bristol, Salisbury or High Wycombe, it will require periods working at client sites across the UK and possibly Europe. You will have the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of how digital technologies underpin a number of disciplines in Aerospace, Defence and other similar sectors. Disciplines could include data analytics/mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and modelling and simulation across a full spectrum of activities including R&D, requirements engineering, test and evaluation, synthetic training, Model-Based Systems Engineering, and project/programme management & support.
The aim of the Nova Systems Europe Graduate scheme, as part of the wider Nova Group Graduate Scheme, is to foster the personal and professional development of the successful candidate, providing them with the experience, supervision, mentoring and training necessary to assist them with succeeding in their future career with the Nova Group and to be recognised by a professional body.
What you’ll actually do
Rapid advances in Digital technologies has and continues to create a paradigm shift within the Defence and Aerospace arena. More and more these technologies underpin the full capability life-cycle from initial concept to disposal. You’ll be involved in many aspects of systems engineering support to Nova project teams, supporting our clients with problem solving or delivering new capabilities. Typically, this might involve R&D, concept development and assessment, requirements engineering, capability development, test and evaluation, and acceptance management. You'll need to be comfortable working across new areas, helping other Novans and our customers to understand why and how digital technologies can be exploited.
What you’ll need
- About to complete or have a computer science or digitally-focussed STEM-based degree
- Fundamentals of computer (hardware and software) and networking architectures
- Strong knowledge base in at least two of the following areas:
- Data Analytic, Data Mining and managing/exploiting Big Data
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Cyber Security for Digital Systems
- Synthetic Environments, Gaming, and Modelling & Simulation
- The development and employment of Digital Twins
- Digital System of System Integration
- Enterprise Architecture
- Because of the high level of Security Clearance which may be required invitations are invited from UK nationals who have lived in the UK for at least the last 5 years
- Experience of software development techniques (e.g. Waterfall, Kanban, Scrum)
- Experience using programming languages and scripting (C++, C#, Java, Lua, Perl, Python)
- Experience using COTS simulation and/or gaming products and/or specialist simulation tools (e.g. Genesis IG, VR Forces, VBS2/3/4, MS Flight Sim, Prepar3d, Unity, Unreal, Matlab, Simulink)
- Knowledge and understanding of Digital Twins concept and how they can be applied
- Experience of Enterprise Architecture frameworks (e.g. TOGAF, MODAF, NAF) and tools (preferably MooD or System Architect and Visio)
- Experience of using XML in both human and machine-readable applications
- Experience of modelling languages for systems and software engineering such as SysML and UML
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have a passion for working with digital technologies
- Ability to engage with a diverse group of clients
- Be a clear communicator both written and verbal
- Desire to work towards IEng and eventually CEng if applicable
- Flexibility in work approach
- Ability and desire to travel regularly for work
- Ability to self-learn systems and proactively engage with people
- Ability to critically analyse a problem and identify a path forward
- Positive and committed team member, who works to very high standards and cares about client interests, and Nova’s and own professional reputation
- Self-motivated and able to operate with a high degree of autonomy
- Problem solving skills
- Flexible, positive and committed team member, who works to very high standards and cares about client interests, and Nova’s own professional reputation
- Flexible, career driven and can work independently or part of a team
Nova Systems is an international Professional Service Provider specialising in the provision of engineering and management services, providing industry and government with world class independent expertise in delivering complex projects and solving technologically challenging problems.
Nova employs over 500 specialist consultants across the UK, Europe, Singapore and Australia, with UK offices in Andover, Bristol and Maidenhead.
With a strong company culture and high retention rate, Nova Group has been recognised as one of "Top 50 best places to work" in Australia and Singapore and Nova Systems UK won 8th place in the 2019 UK Best Workplace. These are exciting times for us and we’re keen to take our people with us in our success.
We offer a generous total reward package, including a professional development allowance and leave entitlement, 25 days annual leave, team and social events, annual work conference, annual and immediate recognition schemes, up to 7% contributory pension, life insurance, employee assistance helpline and much more!
Please submit your CV along with any additional information you feel will be beneficial in supporting your application via our website; https://novasystems.com/
We are committed to increasing diversity of staff within Nova Systems Europe and within the aerospace and engineering sector as a whole. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the requirements of the role descriptions and we are committed to equal opportunity, equal treatment and respect for every individual. We offer, and value, flexible working and we are also proud to be committed to mental health awareness and to actively supporting the wellbeing of our team. If you have special access requirements, please do let us know.