About Muddy Machines...
Muddy Machines is a seed-stage robotics company looking to solve the labour challenges found in the Agri-tech industry in a sustainable way.
We combine cutting-edge AI and the latest sensor technologies to create autonomous robots that drive through fields harvesting accurately for up to 16 hours a day with no decline in performance.
Despite being founded in the middle of the pandemic lockdown in 2020, our first robot was built and on farms within 6 months. We have a second and third product not too far behind, have won multiple Innovate UK grants, are backed by some prestigious Robotics Investors, and we only just getting started!
Based out of the Central Research Laboratory in West London, we are a growing, mission-driven team, that have come from a range of backgrounds including Nasa, Dyson, Deliveroo and Airbus to help make farming a zero-emissions industry.
About the role…
We are looking for a talented Full-Stack Engineer who can own the design, development and implementation of our web platform.
You will use your experience to push the boundaries of robotics products in the agricultural industry, and in doing so, become an integral part of the business.
John, one of our Software Engineers had this to say about working at Muddy Machines: When tech companies use hyperbole about how they're going to "change the world", as a software engineer you will likely end up writing code to optimise online ad sales or speed up database transactions. At Muddy Machines, it's not hyperbole. You actually can change the world here by developing software to control climate-friendly crop harvesting robots!"
What you'll be doing…
As a Full Stack Software Engineer at Muddy Machines, you will:
- Own the design, development, and implementation of our web platform
- Develop front end interfaces to control and communicate our robot and harvest information to customers
- Develop the backend server and database structures to securely store our data
- Develop interfaces used to command, control and monitor our robots remotely
- Collaborate with other engineers to deliver industry-defining products
- Ideally, you will possess a first-class degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience developing and using server-side technologies (e.g. Node.js, REST APIs)
- Familiarity with modern front end web development technologies
- SQL and Non-SQL (e.g. MongoDB) Database design
- Working within a Linux development environment
- Cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- Using Git for version control
- A creative and considered approach to problem-solving
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Excellent ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to travel to our test sites for in-field validation
Remember, this is just a guide, if you don't know about all of the above, but the idea of learning about them excites you then please apply!
What you get in return:
- Your early contribution to the company will be rewarded with a generous equity package so that you share in the value you create
- Significant opportunities to learn and progress as the company grows
- Regular travel throughout the beautiful UK countryside for field trials, testing, and on-farm development. When we say field trials, we mean it!
- A wild ride full of learnings and new experiences, you will never wonder why you get up in the morning
- Flexible working hours and location, work from where you and your team are the most productive
- Vibrant workspace colocated with some of London's most innovative hardware companies
- Regular events with catered lunches
- Onsite gym and showers
- Nearby climbing wall with subsidised membership
- Free onsite parking
- Free hot drinks and plenty of desk or couch space
Our Interview Process:
- Submit your CV and answer the questions on the application form here
- If you are successful at this stage we'll arrange an initial video call with our Head of Talent who will explain the position, introduce Muddy Machines and get to know a little bit more about you (30 minutes)
- Successful candidates at this stage will then be invited to an on-site technical interview and to meet some of the team (2.5hrs)
At Muddy Machines, we have a unique opportunity to ensure our teams are diverse and inclusive from day one. We know outstanding results occur when unique individuals from diverse backgrounds come together and this is something we are keen to cultivate as our company grows. We welcome candidates from every community. We treat every employee equally, and fairly regardless of age, disability, gender, marital status, race, religion, or sexual orientation. It is vitally important that each of our team members feels confident, comfortable, and empowered.
Note to recruitment agencies: Muddy Machines is committed to building a long-term approach to our hiring strategy, we are therefore already working in partnership with a selected talent partner. We, therefore, ask you to hold off sending speculative CVs or sales approaches through this email