SPX Radiodetection is a world leader in the design and development of test equipment, used by utility companies, to help install, protect and maintain their infrastructure networks. With a truly global presence and a team of dedicated experts, we are at the forefront of detection technology.
About the Engineering Manager role
As Engineering Manager, Current Product Development, you will manage the multi-disciplined engineering team focused on the development of the current product line. This will include changes to the current product line, either to improve fit, form or function, or to evolve it’s capability for specific customers or market applications through the execution of small, fast paced projects of work. You will act as part of the senior engineering team to devise and execute policy and procedure and represent the team in discussions regarding current product strategy and work scheduling. You will require supervisory experience of engineers in a product development environment and you will lead your team in complex technical challenges, including technology research / feasibility projects, and provide innovative technical solutions. Setting of product requirements at a system and product level will be a particular focus of this role. You will also be expected to manage small projects and work packages within a larger project (planning, conducting and coordinating). Challenges will include modifying established procedures and devising new approaches to drive best practice.
Responsibilities of the Engineering Manager
- Supervise engineers assigned to the group, administering company performance management & disciplinary policies
- Reviews and approves work for adherence to process and adequacy.
- Responsible for the provision of appropriately skilled technical resource for the team, maintaining personal development plans and ongoing updates to the team skills matrix.
- Engage with external contractors and business partners in order to ensure the product requirements are clearly understood and prioritized and that projects involving these parties are managed to plan, scope & budget.
- Maintain an accurate resource workload plan in order to provide visibility of current and future availability of technical resource for their team and provide input to project resourcing decisions.
- Responsible for approving leave, carrying out performance reviews and agreeing development objectives for the team, in co-operation with the relevant project managers or other engineering leads where appropriate.
- Facilitate and lead discussions with engineering and marketing personnel in order to agree product development specifications / plans and R&D strategy for the current product range.
- Plan, project manage and prioritise the technical work packages for R&D activity based on agreed product and technology roadmaps.
- Responsible for the setting and agreement of product system requirements and the supporting V&V plans, in collaboration with marketing and other engineering personnel where appropriate.
- Take ownership of design activity required to support the current product line.
- Set, monitor and report on agreed KPI for the team