Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• High end soldering work, board population and repair, professional cabinet construction, reliable cable confection, maintain suppliers contacts and manage internal procurement processes;
• Assembling, testing and commissioning of electronic components and smaller sub-systems;
• Providing feedback from the manufacturing process towards the design engineer
• Using ESO’s electronic CAD tools; • Sharing the responsibility for the As-Build documentation with the design engineer;
• Organising stock-keeping of the Electronic Workshop.
Key Competences and Experience: Required Competences and Experience:
• A minimum of three years of professional experience in the area of industrial automation manufacturing;
• Hands-on experience in cabinet assembly including electronics, mechanics and cabling; • Hands-on experience in high-end soldering including 0402, SOT663 SMD and BGA type components and the reworking of those;
• Solid experience in cable manufacturing and assembly of connectors of up to 100 pins;
• Ability to prepare the procurement, manufacturing and testing of electronic components based on CAD schematics;
• Ability to coordinate activeties with external suppliers and manufacturers;
• Use of standard laboratory test equipment e.g. multimeter, oscilloscope, power supplies and thermal cameras;
• Knowledge in and experience with design tools like e.g. EPlan and or Altium Designer;
• Ability to provide feedback to the engineers in terms of design and manufacturing;
• A proactive, open and professional attitude and a team-player mentality;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Desirable Competences and Experience:
• Software Skills in Python, Java or C/C++;
• Experience with the Assembly and Integration of optical fibers;
• Understanding of cooling systems for electronic assemblies;
• Autonomously small unit design and manufacturing.
State-certified technician, apprenticeship in the electrical field or equivalent educational level.
The position requires a good command of English (written and spoken). German and Spanish would be an asset.
How to apply:
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.