As one of the District's Civil Engineers, you will work as part of a small civil engineering team covering East England Forest District and will be supported by the Area Engineer. You will assist the District Area Engineer in the planning and delivery of civil engineering projects in a forestry environment, including the construction, inspection and maintenance of civil engineering and recreation assets such as forest roads, recreational trails, play and car parks. You will be involved in all aspects of civil engineering delivery, including providing technical advice to local colleagues, planning and design, and the supervision of delivery through contractors. The role will also include the inspection of civil engineering assets including bridges, reservoirs, dams, forest roads and play structures.
You will join a small, district, civil engineering team of four: Area Engineer, Civil Engineer (this role), Works Supervisor and Administrative Officer and will be line managed by the Area Engineer.
The role will involve daily travel within the district with occasional nights away to meet early appointments or attend national meetings. A Forestry England vehicle will be provided for business use only.
The District, with over 150 directly employed staff, covers an area of 35,000 ha from North Norfolk to Brighton; including Thetford Forest and the outlying beats of Sandlings, Kent, East Sussex, Chilterns and Thames Chase Community Forest.
The District has a varied landholding including the large pine forest at Thetford, community woodland on the outskirts of London and a range of mixed woodland, many of which are on sites of Ancient Woodland. There are numerous sites of conservation interest designated across the district, including SPA, SAC, SSSI, AONB, ASNW, CWS and Scheduled Monuments. The District offers outdoor recreation activities to hundreds of thousands of people each year at its recreation centres and the whole freehold estate is dedicated for public access on foot, with numerous small carparks and informal access points.
Support the delivery of the District’s civil engineering programme, through advice and support to colleagues, project planning and design, asset inspections and the management of contract delivery, whilst meeting all legal and policy obligations.
1. Assist the Area Engineer in the implementation of Civil Engineering (CE) delivery across East England Forest District (EEFD).
2. Line manage and support the Civil Engineering team’s Works Supervisor and Admin Officer.
3. Undertake CE asset inspections to the set schedule and develop and deliver a programme of remedial works in agreement with the Area Engineer.
4. Work with internal staff in developing project briefs and budgeting for the CE works they require.
5. Plan and deliver allocated CE projects including design, contract procurement (quote or tender), pre-commencement meetings, works monitoring, payment authorisation, works completion and sign off.
6. Monitor contractor adherence to the contract specifications and requirements, quality of delivery and H&S management.
7. Ensure that CDM (2015) roles are clearly documented, understood and fulfilled.
8. Engage constructively and in a timely fashion with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that they are kept informed of plans and progress and factors which affect their interest.
9. Encourage and promote a safe working culture through regular monitoring and recording of contractor H&S performance and the prompt reporting and investigation of accidents and near misses ensuring that lessons earned are shared.
• Candidates must hold a minimum of a HNC/HND in Civil Engineering (or equivalent field); candidates without a relevant qualification may be accepted if they can demonstrate greater than 3 years of relevant experience and a willingness to achieve a Civil Engineering qualification.
• The candidate should have relevant experience in civil engineering including contractor supervision / management and project planning and delivery.
For further information and details of how to apply for the post, please go to the Civil Service Jobs website: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=b3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImc2VhcmNoX3NsaWNlX2N1cnJlbnQ9MSZvd25lcj01MDcwMDAwJmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nxc2VhcmNoJnBhZ2VjbGFzcz1Kb2JzJmpvYmxpc3Rfdmlld192YWM9MTY5NjAxOSZwYWdlYWN0aW9uPXZpZXd2YWNieWpvYmxpc3QmdXNlcnNlYXJjaGNvbnRleHQ9MTEzODE0ODM2JnJlcXNpZz0xNjA1NTQ0Mjk4LTVjYjJhMTg2YWU3ZDc0ZThmMmVmZDZjN2VjNjhlMTNiZWI5NGJkM2Q=