At GCHQ, diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission. To protect the UK, we need a truly diverse workforce that reflects the society we serve. This includes diversity in every sense of the word: those with different backgrounds, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ways of thinking and those with disabilities or neurodiverse conditions. We therefore welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including those from groups that are under-represented in our workforce.
Short Summary of role
Global Acquisition is a group within GCHQ’s Engineering Department responsible for delivering capability and solutions for mission facing teams who access the communications of the UK’s adversaries.
We get to work on all of GCHQ’s priorities in Engineering:
• Digital Transformation
• A Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive Culture
• Strategic Advantage
• Science and Technology
• National Cyber Capabilities
This role is about creating the environment and culture that enables your workforce in GA and beyond to understand the vision and embrace the changes in their areas of expertise to make a noticeable difference to the way we support mission outcomes.
Who are you looking for?
What we need is someone with:
• A credible leadership background, preferably with demonstrable experience in running a business area
• The enthusiasm and great interpersonal skills to champion and deliver the changes that achieves real improvements to our mission capability
• An inclusive and supportive leadership style and actively champion equality, diversity and inclusion
• A natural instinct to collaborate
• You will be leading a workforce of currently circa 400 people working at the forefront of Access-related technology and will be accountable for group delivery of portfolio outcomes
• You will be a member of GCHQ’s Engineering Leadership Team
• You will have a key role in making Engineering greater than the sum of its parts through collaboration
• You will be helping to lead the significant changes relating to Engineering's response to GCHQ's 2025 Strategy
• The centre of gravity for your teams and your technology/mission partners is distributed – with teams located in Greater Manchester and Bude and partnership teams all over the world
• However, the majority of your workforce is in Cheltenham and so this post is centred in Cheltenham, applications from other locations are welcome – but there is an expectation to be in the Cheltenham office a couple of days a week for classified meetings and to be visible to your teams
• You will be expected to exemplify an inclusive and supportive leadership style and actively champion equality, diversity and inclusion
• You will be responsible for actively building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external partners. Balancing the competing needs of a wide and diverse set of stakeholders
• Communication and Knowledge sharing - Higher
• Corporate Vision and Efficiency - Higher
• Change and Innovation - Advanced
• Analysis and Decision Making - Advanced
• Contribution to Delivery - Advanced
• Managing the Customer Relationship - Advanced
• Working with and Leading Others - Advanced
You can familiarise yourself with the general competencies we use to assess the aptitude of candidates here - Recruitment Process
• If you’re excited about working with us and think you have some of what we’re looking for but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet… Back yourself and give it a go!
Training and Development
At GCHQ we value your ability to learn and adapt to new challenges, we’ll invest in your skills and the way you like to learn. We’re proud to offer an inclusive and supportive working environment that encourages open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we are committed to helping you fulfil your potential.
Benefits we offer
At NCSC and GCHQ, we are proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we are committed to helping you fulfil your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we will enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the very best of your abilities.
• Access to learning and development tailored to your role and support to gain professional qualifications and certifications.
• An environment that supports a range of flexible working options (including a flexible working hour scheme).
• A culture which encourages inclusion and diversity.
• Support to gain professional qualifications and certifications
• A civil service pension
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days based on length of service.
Salary of £70,053 (on a pro rata basis), plus a non consolidated payment of £2,899.
Although this post can be performed from any location, there is an expectation to be in the Cheltenham office weekly for classified meetings
To apply for this position, you must meet our nationality, residency requirements. You’ll find more details here – www.gchq-careers.co.uk/recruitmentprocess
As a Disability Confident employer, we will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview. This is known as the Offer of Interview (OOI).
To secure an interview for this role, candidates applying under this scheme must meet the minimum criteria for this role. The criteria will be related to previous experience, competency based, and aptitude and attitude demonstration.
Be prepared to dedicate 60-90 minutes to completing your application. We’re conscious this might be more time than you expected, so our system will allow you to save your application at any time and come back to it later. But remember to submit your full application before the closing date.
Once we’ve established that you meet our eligibility criteria, the next steps of this selection process are:
- Personal interview – Interviews to be held Jan 2022
- Drug test
If you successfully complete these stages, you’ll receive a job offer, conditional upon you completing our developed vetting (DV) process which enables you to obtain the level of security clearance required to perform this vital role.
The closing date for this role is 23:55 on 31/12/2021.
Please click on this link to apply - https://recruitmentservices.applicationtrack.com/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-3/brand-4/xf-e6b074466dc4/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/6/opp/2419-Business-Head-of-Engineering-Group-Global-Acquisition-Ref-2419/en-GB
Please be aware that we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date once a certain number of applications have been received. Please be mindful of this and submit your application at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.