Business Development Manager
Based in Brunel Innovation Centre, Granta Park, Cambridge
Brunel University London has partnered with TWI to create two world-leading Innovation Centres focussed on the research and development on non-destructive testing, condition and structural health monitoring, power ultrasonics and allied technologies (Brunel Innovation Centre) and on novel composites processing and joining technologies (Brunel Composites Centre). In 2012, TWI established the National Structural Integrity Research Centre (NSIRC) with Brunel University London as the lead academic partner. NSIRC is the world's first educational establishment offering industry-driven postgraduate degree programmes in structural integrity, set up to address the shortage of structural integrity engineers worldwide.
We are seeking to expand and diversify the Centres’ private and public funded research activities undertaken in partnership with industrial partners and relevant funding bodies. The aim of this post is to develop strategic business for the Centres and to enhance interactions between the Centres, TWI, the other centres operating as part of the TWI Innovation Network/NSIRC and Brunel’s Research Institutes and College Research Centres.
Overview of responsibilities:
• Identifying potential new partners by effectively communicating and building strong relationships with large enterprises, SMEs and their supply chains.
• Supporting Centre proposal submissions, including establishing collaborations across public funding platforms to provide funding for the delivery of over-arching research programmes, in agreement with the Centre Directors.
• Originating and winning new business and exploiting new funding opportunities to support the Centres, in conjunction with the Innovation Centre Directors.
• Seeking opportunities to grow the Centres both within the UK and internationally, in agreement with the Centre Directors.
• Building collaborations between the Centres, TWI, the other centres operating as part of the TWI Innovation Network/NSIRC and Brunel’s Research Institutes and College Research Centres. Centres.
• Proven and significant record of accomplishment of business development and success at a senior level in an area relevant to the Centres activities.
• Demonstrable understanding of industry sector activities, developments and key drivers associated with the Centres activities.
• Sound understanding and experience of obtaining public funding for research and innovation.
• Previous experience of working and engaging with industries and academia to build strong collaborations.
• A degree or equivalent in a science or engineering discipline.
• Advanced proficiency in MS Word and basic working proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel.
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills.
• The ability to interact with representatives of industry, academia and public sector organisations.
• Excellent organisational and project management skills with the ability to prioritise and manage busy schedules.
Job Ref: 135/18
Job Profile: Business Development Manager (Innovation Centres)
Business Position: Senior Management & Principal Professional
Accountability: Line managed by Centre Director, Brunel Innovation Centre.
Dotted line reporting to Director, Brunel Composites Centre. Administrative reporting to Brunel Director, Research Support and Development.
Closing Date: 25th February 2019
Contract Terms: 1 year FTC with potential for Perm
For a more detailed Job Specification and to begin the application process, please click on the link below: