DATE: 23 September 2015
The Women’s Engineering Society has a new patron; a woman who has championed the importance of engineering for over 30 years.
Professor Isobel Pollock was appointed an OBE for services to mechanical engineering last year after a career that includes working in world-leading multi-nationals and making major contributions to the promotion of engineering.
Dawn Bonfield, President of the Women’s Engineering Society (WES), said of the appointment: “Isobel was a natural choice for us and I am delighted that she was able to accept our invitation to be our patron. She has so many great accolades to her name, many of which have involved bringing engineering to new audiences, something WES is very passionate about. I know she will be great champion for our cause.”
During her career, Prof Pollock has worked with young people to encourage sustainable and innovative design through the Audi Design Foundation, the Bloodhound schools outreach project and the Design and Technology Association. She has also championed the importance of the UK’s industrial heritage, establishing the IMechE’s Heritage Committee in 2006.
Prof Pollock, the second female president of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and soon, subject to election, to become the first female Master of the Worshipful Company of Engineers, commented: “It is a great honour to join the current WES Patrons. I look forward to supporting WES activities as a patron.
WES has worked to inspire women in engineering and allied sciences for 95 years; promotes careers in engineering; supports companies with gender diversity; and speaks as the collective voice of women engineers. Find out more at www.wes.org.uk
Professor Pollock’s career highlights:
- Royal Academy of Engineering visiting professor in engineering design at the University of Leeds.
- Chair of the National Measurement and Regulations Office Steering Board.
- Member of the University Council at the University of Huddersfield.
- 127th President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (2012-2013).
- Associate of the Engineering Council.
- Senior management roles at ICI, DuPont, Robert McBride, Beatson Clark.
- Trustee of HMS Warrior; Trustee of Design and Technology Association.
- Senior Warden of the Worshipful Company of Engineers, to become Master in 2016.
- OBE for services to mechanical engineering.
- Now supports SMEs through her own business, Benbane Engineering Consultants.
- WES is grateful for the support of our four other patrons:
- Professor Dame Ann Dowling FREng
- Meg Munn
- Sir Robert Malpas CBE, FREng
- Professor Patrick Dowling CBE, DL, FREng, FRS
Media enquiries to: Zoë Howard firstname.lastname@example.org or 07552 951999 or Dawn Bonfield, President email@example.com or 07881905520.