Our Student / Apprentice membership is perfect for women undergoing training leading up to a qualification in engineering, technology or related sciences.
Which student membership grade should I apply for?
- Student Supporter: Both male and female students are encouraged to join the free membership grade 'Student Supporter'.
- Student Membership: For female (including those who identify themselves as women and/or are discriminated against as women) students studying a STEM subject. This grade costs £10 per year and provides voting rights at the WES AGM. Officers of WES Affiliated Student Groups or those sitting on the WES Council should opt for this grade.
- Associate Student Member: For male students or female students not studying a STEM subject, it costs £10 per year and provides voting rights at the WES AGM.
Benefits of joining WES and becoming a member include:
- Supporting WES and its campaign for gender diversity in engineering, IT and allied sciences
- Being part of a network of women engineers, and using your resources to encourage others to join the profession
- Become a role model and spokesperson for young women
- Keep track of issues relevant to women's engineering events and news through our quarterly journal and monthly e-newsletter
- Obtain career help and guidance through our successful mentoring service MentorSET, or become a mentor
- Apply for one of our Bursaries or Awards
- Gain useful management by serving on our Council or as an officer in a Student Group
- Build practical skills by getting involved in our activities (become a cluster co-ordinator, join the editorial board, web management, fund raising, organising events and awards)
- Meet like-minded people at our annual events and enjoy working to build a stronger profession
- Discounted rates and free tickets to relevant conferences and events, when available
- Build your profile at events and network into your next job
- Organise or take part in outreach events to inspire the next generation of young people and students
- Use our social networking sites to connect to other members online (see the links at the bottom of every page)
- Feel confident that your membership subscription is being positively used to grow, encourage and inspire the number of women in engineering
You may also want to connect with more engineering students by establishing your own engineering group or affiliate with an existing engineering society. Student engineering groups are a great way to meet others in your field, share ideas, access advice, network, and support one another. Our Students page contains all the details in starting up your own student group.