Students play an important role in the promotion and continuation of the Women's Engineering Society's work. Current students take on volunteer positions not only within their own University affiliated groups but also as part of the University Group's Board and Directors' Commitees. Students are tomorrow's engineers and their experience and voice helps to shape WES' future.
Follow our social media at:
- Membership gives you access to the members only area, monthly newsletter and volunteering roles.
- Student Grade
WES Annual Student Conference
- The WES annual student conference is fantastic two day event bringing together engineering students from all over the country. It supports young women to progress in engineering and allied sectors by providing access to employer perspectives, development opportunities and networking
- Find out more here
Student Engineering Groups
- A great way to meet others in your field, share ideas, access advice, network, and support one another.
- Jennifer Glover co-ordinates the WES Student groups and can advise you on how to set up a group and is on hand should you have any questions once your group is set up. If you're interested in affiliating your student group with WES email Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Set up a new group or affiliate your existing group (general engineering societies can affiliate) and join a larger network of women engineering students from across the UK.
- Affiliating with WES allows your group to have a position on the WES University Groups Board (UGB) The group meets regularly to share ideas and best practice and facilitate networking between our student groups.
Affiliated Student Groups
Affiliated student groups are are a great way to meet others in your field, share ideas, access advice, network, and support one another. A student group can be any STEM society which have aim to promoting these careers to women. Their events should be things that encourage future engineers, support their members through networking and personal development as well as social events which are a key part of University life. Affiliated groups get the benefit of WES support and knowledge and encourage members to be more involved national society as a whole.
Why not take a look at the social media of some of our affiliated groups to see what type of events they put on?
Affiliated Higher Education Groups
- Women in Engineering, Science and Technology Aston University
- Women's Engineering Society Bath or Facebook
- WISE University of Birmingham
- Women in Engineering Coventry
- Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology Women in Engineering Society email
- FEMENG: Glasgow University's Female Engineers
- WOMENinSTEM@IC at Imperial College London
- Loughborough University Women's Engineering Society or Facebook
- Newcastle University FemEng Society
- Women's Engineering Society Nottingham University
- WESOUSS at the Open University
- Queen’s University Belfast Engineering Society
- WES-SHU at Sheffield Hallam
- University of Southampton Women’s Engineering Society
- University of Surrey Women in Engineering Group (Facebook)
- Equality in Engineering Society University of Sussex (Facebook)
- Swansea Students Women in Engineering Society
- UCL Student Society of Women Engineers
- Warwick Women's Engineering Society
- Watt Women in STEM
To affiliate a student group with WES you can either set up a brand new student group or affiliate an existing group, for example if you already have a women in engineering society at your university there is no need to set up a new group. The group does not need to be a female only group, nor does it have to be specific to engineering as STEM groups are welcome to affiliate. However, by affiliating to WES national you are agreeing to help promote gender balance within engineering.
To affiliate your group, you need:
- At least two student members of WES as officers for the group (ie chair, vice-chair, secretary, treasurer).
- Support of one academic member of staff who is a member of WES to act as the group sponsor.
- To complete Application forms :