FREng CEng FBCS HonFIED
Professor Chessell is an IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Master Inventor and member of the IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team. As the Chief Architect for InfoSphere® Solutions in IBM’s Software Group, she designs common information integration patterns for different industries and solutions. Outside of IBM, she is a fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering and a visiting professor at the University of Sheffield, UK.
Professor Chessell studied Computer Science from an early age and has both an O-Level and an A-Level in the subject. She went on to study at Plymouth Polytechnic and obtained her Bachelor honours degree in Computing with Informatics in 1987.
She subsequently joined IBM, where her early work focused on transaction processing, event management, business process management, information management and model-driven development. Today, Professor Chessell’s work is focused on developing model-driven tools to simplify the analysis and design of large systems and then to automate their development. This work covers the development of user interfaces, services, information integration technology in the field of Data Governance and Master Data Management. The breadth of her work is reflected in her invention portfolio, which to date stands at over 50 issued patents worldwide.
IBM sponsored Professor Chessell’s Masters degree in Software Engineering at the University of Brighton. Since completing her Masters in 1997, she has added the following to her list of achievements:
- 2000 Among the first group of MIT Technology Review magazine's “TR100” young innovators
- 2001 First woman to be awarded the Royal Academy of Engineering Silver Medal for the invention and engineering of Reusable Software Component Architecture
- 2002 Elected a Fellow of The Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2004 Won the British Computer Society nomination for the Women's Engineering Society “Karen Burt award”
- 2006 “Best Woman in Technology - Corporate Sector” award at the Blackberry Women in Technology awards
- 2006 British Female Innovators and Inventors Network (BFIIN) “Building Capability” award for her work developinginnovative people
- 2011 Made an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED)
- 2012 “Everywoman Innovator of the Year” at the Cisco Everywoman in Technology Awards
- 2013 Received an Honorary Doctor of Science from Plymouth University
For further information about Professor Chessell, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Chessell