Engineering placements are a fantastic opportunity to get practical engineering experience, applying the theory of University to the technical requirements of the working world.
As placements become more and more popular university courses now offer sandwich options with a designated year on placement. However, 12 months isn’t the only route with opportunities ranging from a few weeks in the summer to the full 12 months.
Summer placements can be taken between any years of study, but the year-long placements are taken after the second year of a three-year course and the second or third year for a four-year course.
As a student placement offers you:
- Boosting your CV
- Paid work
- Interesting and challenging projects
- Opportunities to apply your learning
- A break from study
- Potential further training from your employer
- Developing a network
Where to find placements:
- Your University careers network
- Websites such as:
- Attend careers fairs:
- Ask your network directly for either an opportunity or a contact
Still having problems finding a placement? Do get in touch with us and we can reach out to our members in your area to see if anyone can help you.
As an employer, placement students offer you:
- Excellent employees without long-term commitment
- An opportunity to fill a temporary vacancy or get help with a project
- A chance to raise your profile on campus among a future graduate workforce
- Opportunities to develop links with the University, which may lead to joint research
- Access to high quality future graduates
Where to advertise placements: