- About WES
- Individual Membership
- Corporate Partnerships
- Events and Conferences
- E-newsletter, Blogs and Journal
- Projects and Campaigns
- Role models
- Awards, bursaries and grants
- Education and outreach
- MentorSET and Training
- Careers in Engineering
- Resources, Stats & Reports
- Leave a Legacy
- Media and Press
- Contact us
WES - Terrific Scientists
Monday 14th November 2016
Terrific Scientists – Closing date for submissions 30th Nov 2016
BBC Learning is launching a bold, ambitious science campaign aimed at inspiring primary-age teachers and their pupils through exciting, innovative and accessible mass-participation investigations that every school can take part in.
We’ll also host exciting content on our website and social media channels which launch in November.
As part of this content, we’re curating a series of “Terrific Scientists” in which real life scientists like you have the chance to nominate their most inspirational scientific hero.
Children will have the chance to vote on which they think is the most “Terrific Scientist” of them all, with more in depth web content appearing around the winning scientist.
We’re keen to get a mix of male and female nominations from across disciplines and nationalities. They can be world famous or lesser known, dead or alive but the key is inspiration!
We’d like you to record a short film in the following format:
30s – 45s maximum
Say who you are and what you do.
Introduce your terrific scientist. (please use the word “terrific” or phrase “terrific scientist” somewhere if you can)
When did they live?
What they did/discovered/were known for?
Why they inspire/d you?
- We’re happy with self-shot footage on a smartphone or camcorder
- Please make sure sound/speech is legible (avoid lots of wind noise etc, use an external mic if you can)
- Please film in LANDSCAPE mode
- Please film down the lens (Look straight into the camera)
- Remember, you are talking to primary age students around 10 years old
- Please submit clips and forms to firstname.lastname@example.org using a file-sharing service of your choice
- We’ll use as many submissions as we can on our website as part of our campaign but might not be able to include them all
- Please sign and return (scan and email is fine) our consent form below or we won’t be able to use your clip
- Please avoid any corporate or other branding
For the consent form, please click here