This Royal Academy of Engineering bursary has been established by Sir Robert Malpas CBE FREng, patron of WES, to enable outstanding graduate engineers to study for a full time MSc course in creative engineering at a UK university.
Each bursary has a financial value of £5,000. This is payable in two amounts: £3,500 will be available once the awardee has registered on the respective course, with the balance of £1,500 payable upon successful graduation. Up to two bursaries may be awarded in a single year.
Who is eligible?
Prospective candidates must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- be a UK citizen;
- have graduated with, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class honours degree in engineering or a closely aligned subject;
- have membership, at any grade, of a professional engineering institution accredited by the Engineering Council as a licenced member institution;
- have some working experience either through a sandwich placement or ‘year out’ before commencing university;
- not be in receipt of an EPSRC or other award for the study of the respective course.
Which courses are suitable?
The bursary is currently tenured for study on the following Masters’ courses:
- Product Design Innovation at Aston University
- Innovation and Creativity in Industry at Cranfield University
- Entrepreneurship at the University of Nottingham
- Innovation Design Engineering at the RCA/Imperial College London
- Technology Entrepreneurship at UCL
The Sir Robert Malpas Bursary is administered on behalf of the Academy by the Panasonic Trust in conjunction with its annual Fellowship programme. Prospective applicants must therefore submit an application through this scheme to be considered for the award of this prestigious bursary.
The application consisting of an application form, a passport type photograph, curriculum vitae and letter confirming a place on the respective MSc course must be submitted electronically no later than 25 July 2013. Any application which remains incomplete after this date will not be considered for interview.
Candidates shortlisted for interview will be notified by 6 August 2013, with interviews taking place on 15 and 16 August 2013. Candidates must attend their interview in person; no telephone or video conferencing interviews will be offered.