CLOSING DATE: 31 MARCH 2017
About the role of Project Engineer
Join us as a Project Engineer in either Gas or Electricity Construction and you will be responsible for delivering one or more projects to time, cost, and quality, underpinned by premier safety, health and environmental (SHE) performance – ensuring all our people and our contractors get home safely every single day is our number one priority at National Grid.
You will make it your mission to be the driving strength behind the project, taking ownership for efficient execution of the design, construction, commissioning and handover stages, ensuring the project is fully aligned with our technical, quality and SHE requirements from end to end.
Day-to-day your role includes indirect management of external contractors, visible safety leadership, management of project risks, coordination of system access, and liaison with the project sponsor and operations teams;
It will be your responsibility to provide monthly project status reports, including SHE performance, milestone progress, risk management and forecast of the financial performance, demonstrating the project remains on track and within governance.
About you and your skills
- This role has a large focus on project management, and the ability to effectively pull together a hard working team with clear instructions.
- Previous experience in project management is important, with a deep understanding of the importance of effective management of scope, time and cost for successful delivery.
- A large element of this role is contract management, with understanding and appreciation of how to handle fixed price and target cost contracts required.
- A HNC/HND (Higher National Certificate/Higher National Diploma) is essential for the position. Previous experience within the gas or electricity construction industry would be a great bonus but is not essential.
- Extensive travel around the region is expected, for this reason a full UK driving licence is essential.
You will have a company car, laptop and mobile phone with the position, 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days, an amazing double and match pension scheme. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits Programme, as well as the opportunity to buy discounted shares and achieve a yearly bonus and performance related uplifts. We have some part-time/flexible opportunities available.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
National Grid encourages an inclusive and diverse workplace and regardless of your background and if you think you have something to offer us, we’d love to hear from you.