WES recommends its members to join one of the Professional Engineering Institutions (PEIs) listed here which are registered with the Engineering Council of most relevance to the sector of engineering in which they are working, and encourages members to work towards the qualification of Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) or ICT Technician (ICTTech)where appropriate.
The benefits of Institution membership include:
- Access to continuous professional development
- Information - including a magazine, library facility and on-line resources
- Careers advice and employment opportunities
- Legal help lines
WES recommends that women obtain chartership status as early as possible in their careers, and that they maintain their Institution membership throughout any career breaks they take. It is often possible to pay a reduced fee whilst having a career break or on maternity leave - just enquire.
Women's Network Groups Within the PEIs
The following PEIs have women's network groups. (Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add other networks to this list.)
- Institution of Engineering and Technology Women's Network
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers, IMechE
- Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining - Women in Materials Group
- Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers Women's Group, WIBSE
- Institute of Physics - Women in Physics Group
- Royal Aeronautical Society - Women in Aviation and Aerospace Network