- About WES
- Individual Membership
- Corporate Partnerships
- Events and Conferences
- E-newsletter, Blogs and Journal
- Projects and Campaigns
- Role models
- Awards, bursaries and grants
- Education and outreach
- Member News
- MentorSET and Training
- Careers in Engineering
- Resources, Stats & Reports
- Leave a Legacy
- Media and Press
- Contact us
National Women in Engineering Day (NWED)
National Women in Engineering Day (NWED)
National Women in Engineering Day - 23 June 2016 - a day dedicated to raising the profile and celebrating the achievements of women in engineering.
Check out the NWED website for all the latest information and start planning your event now. WES is indebted to its 2016 sponsors listed here.
2015 In Summary
- 500 separate events held on the day (including school events)
- Over 350 schools across the UK got involved in NWED celebrations
- Over 750 resource packs were sent out to schools and organisations by post, and many more downloaded from the website
- Reached over 1 million people on social media via a 'Thunderclap' campaign on twitter @nwed1919
- The official hashtag #nwed2015 receiving over 20,000 posts on the day, which saw the hashtag trending for around 9 hours on Twitter, trending in top place in the UK and in 5th place Worldwide. On the day, the hashtag #nwed also received over 90 million impressions @nwed1919
- The day was acknowledged in UK parliament by the Prime Minister (David Cameron), and also as a motion in the Scottish Parliament
- A Guinness World Record organised by Transport for London for the most women engineers performing a jumping high five simultaneously was successfully achieved
- HRH Prince Charles attended one of the NWED events organised by Selex ES
- Our official website www.nwed.org.uk received nearly 6,000 unique visitors and over 16,000 page views on the day
- An official T-shirt store was launched in April and sold over 160 T shirts.
- Our NWED ‘Pushing Boundaries’ video received 1700 plays on the day, so was seen by many times this many students as it was shown in schools
- National Women in Engineering Day was reported in over 150 national and local newspaper printed and online articles in the UK and internationally
- BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour featured a woman engineer every day during that week to celebrate the day
- We are unable to give exact numbers but we estimate that many tens of thousands of girls, their parents and teachers were reached on the day and during the week by this campaign
"Together we changed perceptions and inspired more girls to consider engineering as a career"
Get involved and help create as many events and opportunities as possible to spread the word that engineering offers as many opportunites for women as men. Simply organise an event on or around this day.
National Women in Engineering Day was set up on 23 June 2014 by the Women’s Engineering Society (WES) to celebrate its 95th anniversary. Since 2014 the day has focused attention on the great opportunities for women in engineering, at a time when it has never been more important to address the engineering skills shortage. By encouraging girls into engineering careers we will not only be increasing diversity and inclusion – a business imperative – but enabling us to fill the substantial future job opportunities that have been predicted in this sector.
The idea behind National Women in Engineering Day is to encourage all groups (Governmental, educational, corporate, Professional Engineering Institutions, individuals and other organisations) to organise their own events in support of the day, and link them together for maximum impact through the use of the NWED logo, corresponding website, and supporting resources.
We produce a resource pack to help schools and organisations to celebrate the day, and this can be requested or downloaded from the NWED website at www.nwed.org.uk.
Good luck with your planning, and do keep us informed of what you are doing via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register here to receive our monthly newsletter for further ideas in the build up to this day.
The NWED logo was kindly designed by Clear Mapping Co. Banners and Logos can be downloaded below.
|2016 NWED logo.jpg||139.55 KB|
|2016 NWED poster.jpg||1.95 MB|
|2016 NWED logo.jpg||17.95 KB|
|Girls Can't What Sticker Logo.png||517.71 KB|
|Impact Assessment for National Women in Engineering Day 2015 pdf.pdf||5.63 MB|